Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sending fleece for carding  (Read 14426 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: sending fleece for carding
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 10:02:59 pm »
... and in PJ's too... doing the nightshift? Are you paying double for unsocial hours?

My older girl (13 going on 31) won't have anything to do with the holding in general, but she knits, stitches and does some sewing and would probably like to learn to spin at some point. Younger one (11) more interested in the animals (she has her own goat to kid in 4 weeks time) and hitching rides on the trailer/tractor... but she does some stitching stuff too.

Actually I have deliberately not offered to teach them to spin, as I only have the one wheel and it's very precious to me... (even though it's an "it" and hasn't got a name)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 01:01:45 am »
I have my own mini mill :-).  I can hire him out (although strictly speaking that would be child labour ;-) ).  We are both mildly addicted!  It was my first desire on getting sheep... To start a mini mill, but talking seriously to some people about it, I realised I just couldn't make a business case for the capital (£50k ish ). But I'd still love to do it. I love making rovings.....

You can make some for me any time you like. I won't even charge you for the privilege.  :innocent:

BALLOCH

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 09:31:32 pm »
I think once wools been to a mill it all ends up the same texture and pummeled to death and too much like shop wool.When done your self it is more natural,i know it takes time but so does all craft.I managed to get a second hand electric carder a louet,is much quicker but noisier and you still cant put the wool in too thick or it stops the belt.Always going to keep the drum one as back up tho.Mills charge a fortune too !not so bad if you can deliver and collect.Let us know how you get on.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 10:28:36 pm »
I've just had a look at electric carders, including a kit to change a manual carder to electric. Having see the prices, I've decided that turning the handle of my drum carder is good exercise.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 11:09:16 pm »
I think once wools been to a mill it all ends up the same texture and pummeled to death and too much like shop wool.When done your self it is more natural,i know it takes time but so does all craft.I managed to get a second hand electric carder a louet,is much quicker but noisier and you still cant put the wool in too thick or it stops the belt.Always going to keep the drum one as back up tho.Mills charge a fortune too !not so bad if you can deliver and collect.Let us know how you get on.

True. This is for rug weaving so mill carded is fine. 
I wouldn't let my lovely old-lady Heb fleece near a mill  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:
I still have to sort the fleeces which will take me a while.......
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2015, 09:18:21 am »
Yesterday I bought some Shetland rovings produced by the Natural Fibre Company.  The sheep are local sheep, belonging to a friend of mine.  The rovings are absolutely delicious and I absolutely would not describe them as
all the same texture and pummeled to death and too much like shop wool
.  (Wouldn't have bought any if they were - friend or not!   :D ;) )
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 12:19:00 pm »
Yesterday I bought some Shetland rovings produced by the Natural Fibre Company.  The sheep are local sheep, belonging to a friend of mine.  The rovings are absolutely delicious and I absolutely would not describe them as
Yesterday I spent the day driving my total stock of Shetland fleece to NFC for processing- I just hope I have done the right thing as it is a huge investment for me :-\ .  The staff were very helpful and spent 2 hours showing us around the mill.  Our fleece will be turned into undyed Laceweight 2 and 4 ply, 4 ply and DK woollen, and weaving yarn - big decision! ::)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 03:59:56 pm »
Yesterday I spent the day driving my total stock of Shetland fleece to NFC for processing- I just hope I have done the right thing as it is a huge investment for me :-\ .  The staff were very helpful and spent 2 hours showing us around the mill.  Our fleece will be turned into undyed Laceweight 2 and 4 ply, 4 ply and DK woollen, and weaving yarn - big decision! ::)

Keep us informed, I am very keen to get some of my Shetland fleece done, but struggle to justify the initial outlay...

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 06:20:21 pm »
OH is in deep shock :o :o :o and that was only the 1st payment.  I just hope that I can sell the end products as I don't even knit! :-\

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 10:35:21 pm »
Perhaps you need to learn  :knit: . And quickly!  :roflanim:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 08:41:10 pm »
Perhaps you need to learn  :knit: . And quickly!  :roflanim:
Have tried spinning, I'm useless ??? .  Can't knit either- even my mother gave up trying to teach me, she said I was cack-handed :-[ .   I'll look after the sheep  :hugsheep: and let others do the pretty bit.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 10:14:06 pm »
have you tried felting

or weaving with fleece.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2015, 08:50:01 am »
Have some books on weaving and recently bought a small peg loom - it sits in the corner defying me to have a go :P .

Back to original post (sorry FW for hijacking). 
I always intended to use Halifax as I spoke to them a couple of years ago.  But when I tried to contact by phone 2 weeks ago to check postage costs, both numbers were unobtainable/out of service ??? .

The current staff at NFC were really helpful so I went there instead, and took it myself.  The minimum quantity is quite large if you only want to use your own fleece (as I did) but they can make up from their large 'bank' of fleece.  If you want to talk prices, please pm me.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2015, 12:57:53 pm »
<<< I always intended to use Halifax as I spoke to them a couple of years ago.  But when I tried to contact by phone 2 weeks ago to check postage costs, both numbers were unobtainable/out of service ??? >>>

Mmn - the latest info on the website is at the beginning of 2013.  Has anyone had contact since then?  Someone from the mill is a TAS member so perhaps we can get an update as to whether they are still in business.

I'm hopeless with websites and can never find the bit with prices on  ::)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

MurmuringWheel

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2015, 10:58:23 pm »
They are definitely still in business. I've been in touch with Paul today about an event I organise and he was replying to my emails.

www.murmuringwheel.co.uk Handspinning, knitting, crocheting services, spinning tuition and demonstrations at events nationwide.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS