Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: signs of spring?  (Read 9492 times)

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
signs of spring?
« on: January 17, 2010, 10:02:01 pm »
moles are back in the paddock and digging like its the great escape, 3 traps set check tomorrow, cockerel running round very randy think hes in the mood for luv. any spring events from the members? heavy snow forecast wed can you believe it.....................neil

sandy

Re: signs of spring?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 11:12:24 pm »
I have/had an erge to  spring clean!!! also, loads of bulbs are pussing through.....men always want to propergate  ???::) ::) ::)

SuzyJ

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Bulgaria
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 11:21:53 pm »
Blummin moles dig my garden up all year round here!

Spring is slowly starting here, plenty of buds on the trees and I'm sure I saw some flowers seedlings appearing, although we've had snow today with more cold weather forecast which might knock things a little bit, still it's not far away.
British Expat trying to live a better life in Bulgaria

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 08:20:50 am »
sorry to spoil your fun its mid jan plenty of winter to come.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 09:15:09 am »
Nah, got to be hopeful. We have randy cockerels and I have discarded my longjohns in favour of waterproof trousers. Must be spring!

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 09:33:53 am »
Not sure about spring yet.....but lots of moles here.  Any ideas of how to get rid of them????
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

sandy

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 09:41:23 am »
Yesterday  I went out without a coat....mind you had a long sleeved T SHirt, a jumper and a fleece!!!!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 10:14:48 am »
Haven't you noticed how the daylight is lasting longer? and starting earlier The Island lights went off before 7.30 am this morning :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 11:03:07 am »
It's definitely nicer now the days are getting longer.  It was almost 5.30 when I put the chickens away yesterday.   :)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 02:00:42 pm »
woohooo

at long last, i can use my whole driveway, no more driving in/reversing out. I can drive in, down to th ebottom, turn and back up again - been over a month!!!

my drive is on a bit of a slope, so any frost/ice means the van gets trapped!

All the snow is off the raised beds and I can see my garlic again - it's looking well.

Now, i've several big jobs to get started on - dismantle the old raised beds, turn the tonnes of manuare and 5 compost bins I have been filling up over the last 2 years, hire a mini digger to level parts of my garden so I can mark out my planned polytunnel and build my new raised beds

exciting stuff!!!!

Then i've to get some chickens!!!! Oh, the chickens might come first!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 02:48:33 pm »
And that's as well as all your deliveries of these super boxes? ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 03:20:08 pm »
bulbs coming through, beautiful day yesterday, bit gloomy today! Bloody moles, we have mountains not hills! Days are definitly getting longer, now signs of grass growing yet though. chickens egg laying has picked up............or maybe i am just finding all their hiding places.  ;D
juliag

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 04:12:59 pm »
The oak tree looking red with buds (still a long way off I know but....) Fat green buds on the hazels, days lengthening, though you still have to measure. Crows and buzzards pairing up, me looking through seed catalogues and planning, planning, planning!!!!

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 04:33:24 pm »
using scissor traps on moles, dont touch them with hands use old gloves rub with soil, if traps are new soak them in a bucket with muck in to get rid of scent, use a steel pin or bar to feel for runs between mounds only dig enough out to put trap in run, cover with bucket brick on top,mr mole will travel around all the new and old runs looking for worms in the tunnels, when you set the spring trap put the ring on the very edge to make it more sensitive, check daily and reset if needed, had great success last year using these cleared all the moles from my ground, this years moles have come in from adjoining field. now its war

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 04:36:52 pm »
Many thanks garden cottage.....I'm going to try that  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS