Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: frostbite prevention  (Read 2677 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
frostbite prevention
« on: February 03, 2015, 11:29:50 am »
I have been using vaseline on the Minorcas but one of the hens has a touch of frostbite. I've now used some sudocrem on her and luckily the cock and the other hen are so far ok. I've moved them into the hay barn (completely enclosed but well ventilated) for now.

Is there anything better than what I am using? Battles have a product but I can't find a list of ingredients and dont want to pay £8 for another tub of vaseline. There's a horse product (protocon) which I think might be good as well.

any other suggestions?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: frostbite prevention
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 01:56:58 pm »
We had a product called 'Snowfire' recommend to us Lord Flynn. Comes as a small stick like lipstick, which we found very difficult to apply so went back to Vaseline. The object is simply to stop cooling by evaporation, because chickens lose half their water through their very delicate skin. Our Leghorn bantams come in when it gets to -4C forecast, because at that temperature even the vaseline won't help. Frostbit is indicative of a low core body temperature and I've been told that if cockerels get it they become sterile -don't think hens are affected.

One thing worth adding is that in our recent experience a low core temperature results in the death of the gut flora. They then can't get enough nutrient out of their feed to stay warm and we had to use Avipro Avian over a two week period to get his digestion to improve. So I think if in any doubt get them in, because once they get too cold recovery will be difficult.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 02:41:28 pm »
thanks-they are in, or as in as I can get them-the hay barn is actually an old office building (about 24x12), sort of prefab and the door is shut. There was a thin crust of ice on their drinker in there this morning but it certainly wasn't the -7 it was outside. They have lamps out there so they can keep eating longer than they normally would this time of year.

thanks for heads up over gut flora-they are on breeders and micronized maize/peas/barley and Oregostim, will look into probiotics. They are eating/drinking well and both girls are still laying daily. Hopefully this coldsnap will be over soon!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 03:55:44 pm »
I've generally considered condensation the main problem - comb gets damp, then the water freezes.  Our cockerels overwinter in pole barns fronted with game panels which have a 50cm solid bottom panel.  Not yet seen frostbite, although the biggest combs our cockerels have are on the Dorkings.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 04:12:58 pm »
reading up on it many think moisture is the problem-but this 'barn' is the best I have in that regard as opposed to the henhouses I have. The other option is one of the internal stables with a grill on the front.

Its just the one Minorca hen (the cock is new-got him at the Nationals in Jan) so far. All the Scots Greys (including males) and Marsh Daisies are fine.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 08:59:35 pm »
If you want to reduce moisture/condensation then cat litter in old socks works pretty well - they recommend two socks in a car, so it won't be anything amazing but it may help?!

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 09:03:46 pm »
oh thanks for that! I can do that (and will do it in my car as well!). nothing feels very moist atm, more freeze dried  :-J  they are all greased up for the night and on a thick bed of straw (they were on chopped straw before). Snowing again atm.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 09:23:33 pm »
It's a bit late right now but  worth while considering if you can get electricity out to the chicken's enclosure ...

Suspended above the birds black heat ceramic bulbs on timers  are the way to go.  Especially if you can contain the stock in a round three foot or more walled enclosure about 10 feet across so most of the radiant heat is retained inside the enclosure and have a bit of a warm roof over some of the enclosure ..even if it is just an old sheet or blanket ..anything to help slow down the heat loss is useful.

Usually the night time is a colder period than the day so sometimes you can also use that knowledge to programme the best heating cycle for the birds
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 02:14:52 pm »
thanks Clodopper. The main reason I am reluctant to run electric out there (there is some there already but turned off) is because it's my hay barn. Also the existing electrics are a mess  (i.e. dangerous-put in 30 years ago badly)and the roof leaks in very heavy rain. It's going to cost more than we have atm to get both sorted.

We have plans for the back garden once winter is over and once drainage there is sorted out, I'll be on the lookout for a shed and maybe think about electric to that.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS