Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Speed of Ryeland fleece growth  (Read 3400 times)

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
Speed of Ryeland fleece growth
« on: January 19, 2015, 09:04:08 pm »
Hi.  My sheep were shorn mid summer, my Dorset mule ewe lambs fleece is now quite thick, my ryeland ewe (mum) fleece is quite thick, but my ewe lamb ryeland (daughter) fleece does not seem to have grown has much at all.  The white ryeland ewe lamb I bought later was shorn where she had flystrike early autumn and that fleece is thicker.  I just wanted to ask any of you out there with Ryelands, is this usual for the breed or is she going to struggle with thin fleece?  Thanks

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Speed of Ryeland fleece growth
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 12:29:49 am »
You clipped them as lambs?  When they were less than 12 months old?  Normally we don't shear them until their second summer.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 09:41:49 am »
Not in Devon either.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 06:54:37 pm »
It was normal practise to clip lambs of certain woolly breeds such as romneys , and while not common some ewe lambs are clipped in the autumn to force a growth spurt before tupping .  There is still a price for lambs wool in the BWMB price list

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 09:36:00 pm »
For my first year of learning I am just following whatever the local commercial flock does, whatever he does with his ewe lambs mine go along too. It's a learning curve I guess.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 01:03:19 pm »
Ewe lambs could perhaps be shorn if January born and housed ready to lamb down themselves as hoggets, but I can't see any other reason to do so.  Our March-born lambs are shorn the following May, at 14-15 months.

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 01:41:10 pm »
These mule lambs were feb born and their fleece was very thick by summer so I think (I haven't asked the Shepherd yet so I am guessing) it was reduce flystrike risk and yes normally they would be going to the ram this year.  I must say their fleece is back to being as thick/long as it should be.  I just shouldn't have treated the Ryeland ewe lamb the same, lesson learnt.  Although she is perfectly happy and we only had the odd frosty morning this year so hopefully  :fc: I wont need to bring her in. 

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 02:08:09 pm »
She should be fine, its common practice around here to shear off lambs late summer/early autumn especially ewe lambs

It makes them eat more and they grow on better, I may try shearing mine off this year, the lambs I had born in Dec/Jan will be sheared early summer

A couple of my charmoise yearlings are very short right now from being sheared before they were sold to me in october, they are in superb conditon  :thumbsup: almost look like beltexs  :thinking:

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 02:48:51 pm »
Thank you Ladygrey, that's a relief to hear,  :relief: I was starting to think I had done something very odd.  :)  I would agree, once they were shorn they were definitely on their feet more, grazing more, much more active so it doesn't surprise me that they grow on better.  The vet did say a few months ago they were some of the best looking ewe lambs she had seen in the area too which did please me I must admit. 

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 03:01:57 pm »
 almost look like beltexs  :thinking:

oops  :D

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 03:03:03 pm »
I think it is quite common down in the sunnier parts of the UK as it does supposedly get them eating more and therefore grow faster.. If we did ours around here I think we would be scooping them up all winter.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 03:16:23 pm »
Undoubtedly!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS