Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Duck bedding  (Read 10557 times)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Duck bedding
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 09:05:07 pm »
I hate straw for bedding - it just doesn't seem to absorb. Since losing Hemcore last year (they went out of business so no idea who's making Rapport now because it was from the same supplier), I get a chopped flax straw product by the pallet load: http://horsebedding.co.uk/equisorb-flax-horse-bedding.html. It's very similar to Auboise/Hemcore so it's absorbent and it doesn't blow all over the place which I've had with some of the lighter bedding. It also composts quickly unlike wood products. But I don't know where you can get it by the bale - I have the advantage of being able to stock up with 36 bales and gradually working my way through it. Does work out cheaper though - I pay £6.15 +VAT per bale, delivered (and they're really big bales - bigger than I remember Hemcore being).

I don't think sand would work for me in wooden sheds because it would be a pain to clean out which you'd have to do every so often and then I'm not sure what you'd do with dirty sand. But it does sound attractive on concrete (not cosy though! - not sure whether ducks care).

H

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 09:22:05 pm »
By poo picking with a cat litter scoop we don't tend to get loads of sand in amongst the daily clean out so it goes in the compost with the rest.

I use Milton to disinfect, I think it comes in all forms! I would think any water soluble disinfectant which is safe for animals would be fine. I get a huge bucket and shovel the sand in, add water and the disinfectant and stir with a big stick. Secure a muslin over the end and tip out the water. I put the sand straight back down and find it dries pretty quick in a weather proof building. I only do this every 6 months

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 06:01:51 am »
The sand option is interesting. Our land is clay on shale and goose/duck/chickeny s##t sand would go well on the root beds.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 11:00:10 am »
Yes, I'm going to give that a go too  :thumbsup: . Is it any particular sand?  Also where can you buy dry sand from? The stuff I've bought for building work has always arrived pretty damp.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 01:10:06 pm »
I think you are meant to avoid play sand, not sure about builders sand. We use beach sand but obviously not everyone has access to it!

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 01:12:08 pm »
When I first looked into it I found this site helpful, http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/09/chicken-coop-bedding-sand-litter.html

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, 06:34:57 pm »
I've used sharp sand-it dries out quick enough if it gets the chance.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2015, 02:10:32 pm »
so-an update. I've been using chopped rape straw for ducks and poultry and love it, both in their houses and nestboxes/nesting places. I can't get it easily up here but can order it in (am using Alto bedding) and seems cost effective.  If I could be convinced the ponies wouldn't eat it, I'd get in pallet loads!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS