Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: In lamb ewes with mild bloat  (Read 2033 times)

Crossways

• Joined Jan 2015
In lamb ewes with mild bloat
« on: January 21, 2015, 07:14:16 am »
I've got a pair of ewes that have developed a mild bloat. They are due in around 6 weeks and they are in lamb to twins and triplets. I've heard that being in late gestation with multiple lambs can cause this?

Gut is blown out further than their ribs, eating, drinking, pooing and peeing all fine. They don't even seem to be uncomfortable.

Do I need to worry? Vet didn't say a lot, can I do anything?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: In lamb ewes with mild bloat
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 08:24:41 am »
I wouldn't worry too much, ewes very rarely die of bloat vs cattle, I have one or two that bloat to colossal proportions on certain fields and are absolutely fine

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 02:40:45 pm »
 If you're still worried then give them some vegetable oil - about 100ml should do. Administer with a drenching gun, or a small plastic drinks bottle. Bicarbonate of soda is also quite effective. Add a desert spoonful to some food.
Bloat may not kill them but it won't do any good at this stage of pregnancy.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 02:50:42 pm »
Are you sure it's bloat?  If they're in good condition lambs + fat + rumen means there's not much room inside.

Crossways

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 06:57:04 pm »
They did it quite suddenly. So I Don't think it's lambs etc. I'll give them some oil when we vaccinate them and try bi carb.

Thanks all

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS