Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheepdog  (Read 6558 times)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Sheepdog
« on: January 19, 2015, 01:15:04 pm »
Sad how the pages turn, I put my old bitch to sleep yesterday and buried her in the orchard, it always makes me think when I put one of ours down about how much of your life they have shared, its a real line in the sand when they go. Made all the harder by doing the deed yourself! Many a tear shed in the Me household in the last 24hrs I can tell you.

It was time, I know that, she couldn't work, couldn't hear, barked insanely at things that were not there (and didn't look happy doing it), wasn't entirely continent and struggled to maintain her weight. Some would have kept her going until she really suffered and then prolonged it further with pills but I won't do that.

One of her last jobs back in the summer was to hold some ewes off the fence for Taff her replacement to learn to work, he isn't ready yet to do all that he needs to do, but is improving with every outing. He put 75 ewes in a corner pen for me to scan and loves to work. He comes with a dodgey outrun is waaay too fast, likes a little chaos and doesn't mind a grip if they stand up to him but he is listening now, looks back to me when he is confused and wants to please. I would put money on him being a better dog than the last in time.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: Sheepdog
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 01:39:11 pm »
That is sad news, but you know you have done the right thing and saved her any further suffering. Remember the good times, and I am sure Taff will reward you with many years of loyal work. :hug:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 07:15:46 pm »
Sorry to hear that :hug: it's a hard call but one we can at least do to prevent indignity and suffering. So painful at the time.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 12:39:48 am »
 :bouquet:

It's a wrench to lose any dog that has been a friend and companion for many years.  More so when it's also been a working collaboration.  It's a strong bond and it hurts.   :hug:

Glad you've a young dog coming on.  It takes years for the bond to fully form, but it'll come.  He sounds like a good 'un.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 10:37:58 am »
 :hug: :hug: been there, done that as they say, too many times. You don't get used to it and it doesn't get easier. Hope all your memories are happy ones :)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 12:35:56 pm »
Their lives are short and although so sad that you have lost a lovely dog I am sure having a young one will help.  :hug:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 01:53:55 pm »
Sorry to hear this. Having just been through it twice, I can guess how you're probably feeling. :hug:

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 05:35:03 pm »
Thank you all for the lovely replies  :)

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 04:53:33 pm »
Sorry to hear she has gone  :bouquet:

I saw the video of Taff on facebook and he has grown alot! last I saw him he was like a pet rabbit in the crate in your house

I lost my darling little Laddie over Christmas and I still feel like grumping at everyone and wrecking havoc in the world due to the unfairness of it all  :gloomy:  :rant: sad thing was he didnt even make it into old age and I let him down as I told him I would fix him and I couldnt  :gloomy:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 04:55:29 pm by Ladygrey »

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 05:48:00 pm »
Sometimes it is best for animal welfare to harden your heart and say "my dog is broken I need a new one". Put it down gently, without any dramas and blubber like a child about it later.

Taff is doing well, to me he looks like a big cuddly dug, to the sheep he obviously looks like the devil on four legs because they will not risk him. 

I'm working his little legs off, twice a day, my legs are killing me (the big ram saw daylight between them and made a bid for freedom yesterday as we practiced "walk up" - glad there was no camera around then). He is already a better dog than the video, tail is more down, he's balancing them better, less shouting and arm waving (and running) required on my part. Consistently moving them out of the corners and less wild back to me.

Not sure its the way to "produce" pedigree looking sheep though poor sods! I'll go through the Lleyn ewe lambs and pick out the empties for him to terrorise over the summer.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 02:04:38 pm »
Over the years my vet must have had a few good holidays on what he has had from me. When I think back I often ask myself did I do the right thing by my dogs. Its far from easy deciding to have any pet put down but I  feel only the owner knows if their pet has had enough. Most vets will try to keep the pet going as there are so many treatments now a days but in the end its the owner who decides .

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 02:27:44 pm »
Kipling wrote of the folly of giving your heart to a dog to tear and I agree.  Putting down any animal, or bird, should be hard, because it shows you care and that you've thought long and carefully about the best thing to do for them, not for yourself.

Drumnagair

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 02:38:29 pm »

ah im sorry to read this and I completely sympathise, how wonderful for your old friend to have spent her last moments with you at home though. How old was she? Your post is timely for me.. I have 6 collies and my old girl is 13. I know many at 13 who are still looking brilliant but Ive recently brought her in to live in the house as in our kennels she was barking randomly as you described and just seemed anxious. She is better in the house but I keep seeing her standing staring vacantly at the wall. As I said I sympathise greatly, its very hard :(

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 02:49:52 pm »
The answer is I don't know her age, she was gifted to me as her owner had heart problems and rehomed all but one of his trials dogs, by his reckoning she would have been 11-12 but IMO she was older than he thought when I had her (not a young man himself I think everything had started looking young!)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 02:54:43 pm »
Hope all your memories are happy ones :)

Nearly all, if a ewe stood up to her at the pen mouth and she woosed out of a nose grip in later days, she would mark her card and pace around the pen, when that ewe came within range she'd snake her front half through the bars and bite that same ewe. She did get this wrong once (cloudy eyes/minor insanity) and nipped my little girl on the bum! Gwen never knew she'd done it - Claire did! Otherwise a perfect record.   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS