Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep Breed ID  (Read 5787 times)

Harebell

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Wiltshire
    • Maythorn Farm
Sheep Breed ID
« on: January 18, 2015, 05:24:58 pm »
Hello, I've been looking through some old photos of the family farm - we've been in south Wiltshire for a few generations.  I came across these sheep photos and wondered what the breed was.  I was thinking Dorset Down, but not sure.  I'm sorry the scan isn't very good!  I think the photos are from 1940s.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Sheep Breed ID
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 06:02:04 pm »
Hampshire Down?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 11:54:56 pm »
Llanwenog?

modified:  from second scan, yes definitely not a Llanwenog  ::)  :sheep:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 12:29:15 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 12:55:57 am »
I can't quite make up my mind whether the ewe's face is white or dark.  If white, then perhaps Southdown?  If dark(er) then either Dorset or Hampshire Down, being geographically nearest.  I don't know to what extent farms would have had the local breed back then... :thinking:

The lambs look darker, maybe Suffolk X ?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 08:50:48 am »
I love the pen they're in!  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 10:04:43 am »
Llanwenog?

not Llanwenog I don't think  ... Llanwenog lambs come out black  and there seems to be too much wool under chin.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Harebell

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Wiltshire
    • Maythorn Farm
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 06:15:08 pm »
I can't quite make up my mind whether the ewe's face is white or dark.  If white, then perhaps Southdown?  If dark(er) then either Dorset or Hampshire Down, being geographically nearest.  I don't know to what extent farms would have had the local breed back then... :thinking:

The lambs look darker, maybe Suffolk X ?

Yes, I'm thinking either Dorset or Hampshire Down, just can't decide which!  I've attached another photo of the same ewe and her lambs which is a better scan I think.

Someone in the village gave us these photos a couple of years ago as his grandfather was the shepherd when my great-grandfather was in charge of the farm.

Harebell

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Wiltshire
    • Maythorn Farm
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 06:26:16 pm »
And there's also this photo of a white faced sheep - which I have no idea about...lleyn? - taken in the same period, sometime in 1930s/40s we think.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 07:53:59 pm »
 Looking at sheep breeds in the  40's/50's the dark sheep could be  DORSET DOWN -  HAMPSHIRE - SHROPSHIRE - OXFORD    all looked pretty similar , with woolly heads /faces / legs  brown faces   , tight fleeces  and horizontal  medium brown ears .  Probably  which ever breed was nearest which from the map in my book is oxford ??   The white sheep is classic  CHEVIOT

Harebell

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Wiltshire
    • Maythorn Farm
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 09:08:36 pm »
Oh, yes the white faced sheep definitely looks like a Cheviot - perhaps they were popular in south Wiltshire back then!

I looked at a few old black and white photos of Down breeds and am erring on the side of the ewe being a Dorset Down, but difficult to tell

Photos from Museum of Rural Life:

Dorset Down ram 1961
https://www.reading.ac.uk/merl/research/countrysideimages/merl-PFSPH1_K86537.aspx

Hampshire Down ram lambs 1959
https://www.reading.ac.uk/merl/research/countrysideimages/merl-PFSPH1_K77601.aspx

Oxford Down and Suffolk rams 1957
https://www.reading.ac.uk/merl/research/countrysideimages/merl-PFSPH1_K69373.aspx

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 12:12:00 am »
Dorset would be the nearest geographically to South Wilts, I assume?  And there seems to be no reason to think it's not a Dorset Down...

The white ewe doesn't look at all like a Cheviot to me, but I guess I am more used to the North Country type, which has much longer ears and a much more rounded (convex) nose.  Looking at pics for the Border / South Country type, she could be...  :thinking:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 12:20:25 am »
 :wave: hampshire or shropshire be my guess for this one

Harebell

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Wiltshire
    • Maythorn Farm
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 09:12:34 pm »
Dorset would be the nearest geographically to South Wilts, I assume?  And there seems to be no reason to think it's not a Dorset Down...

The white ewe doesn't look at all like a Cheviot to me, but I guess I am more used to the North Country type, which has much longer ears and a much more rounded (convex) nose.  Looking at pics for the Border / South Country type, she could be...  :thinking:

The Hampshire border is just a couple of miles to the east and the Dorset border is a few miles further away to the west, so geographically they are both quite close!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS