Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Inlamb with lice/scab  (Read 4102 times)

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
Inlamb with lice/scab
« on: January 17, 2015, 11:22:32 pm »
i have had to separate a pregnant ewe from the rest she is losing wool and has bear bits this was late evening so I will need to check her first thing in the morning I have notice the last couple of days several of the ewes with wool about there mouths as if they have been chewing if it is scab or lice what is the best way to treat pregnant ewes

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Inlamb with lice/scab
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 11:43:36 am »
Obviously you won't want to be dipping them so you'll need to inject them with an ivomec type wormer eg rycomec, dectomax, or whatever your local stockist/vet keeps.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 11:49:01 am »
I'd advise trying to get a diagnosis, or you risk having to treat them several times.  (Ask me how I know  ::))

If you take a fresh skin scraping (with the wool you scraped too) to the vet they should be able to see what the problem is, and prescribe the appropriate remedy.

Could be (probably amongst other things) scab, biting lice, sucking lice, keds, or no beastie just weather related / mineral deficiency...

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 11:58:23 am »
Definitely get it tested to determine what it is. We had a problem this summer and ended up treating them time after time before relenting and dipping. Getting a skin scrape would have saved a lot of time and hassle.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 12:46:29 pm »
If you want to save a visit fee take it in the trailer to the vets so they can sample from the right areas in the right way and check for lice etc at the same time or you will probably be wasting your time.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 01:17:57 pm »
LLR I appreciate you are trying to be helpful but Dectomax may not cover long enough to prevent scab reinfection from the environment - and needs to be given twice to be effective IME. Cydectin LA can lead to severe neurological problems and even kill if the sheep have been Footvaxed etc etc the devil is in the detail so contact your vet who will talk to you or may even (god forbid) know your situation having seen it and be able to give more appropriate advice.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 03:34:27 pm »

LLR I appreciate you are trying to be helpful but Dectomax may not cover long enough to prevent scab reinfection from the environment - and needs to be given twice to be effective IME. Cydectin LA can lead to severe neurological problems and even kill if the sheep have been Footvaxed etc etc the devil is in the detail so contact your vet who will talk to you or may even (god forbid) know your situation having seen it and be able to give more appropriate advice.
Well dectomax was what I used on my highly pregnant ewes some years ago. I chose it on the vet's recommendation and because one dose was sufficient and it sorted the problem.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 03:42:30 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 04:02:08 pm »
The problem being itchy sheep, or scab or do you not know?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 06:05:17 pm »
A vet job - in this case it'll save time, hassle and money.  If the ewes are nabbing at their wool they're irritated enough to interrupt grazing or possibly reabsorb/slip their lambs.

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 06:22:22 pm »
From personal experience one of the most embarrassing things is concerned sheep neighbours knocking on the door offering to dip/treat them. That's what we had because I was too tight to get the vet in the first place, although in hindsight it would have saved a lot of time and money. As they are in lamb really less is more for treatments hence a further need for the vet. If they are chewing their wool not only does it completely knacker their fleeces, it stops them eating at the most critical time, can lead to infections from eating dirty wool and it provides the perfect place for flies at the first opportunity. We also had a couple get their teeth stuck in the wool.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS