Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: zwartable ewe not walking  (Read 5364 times)

macvity

• Joined Jan 2012
zwartable ewe not walking
« on: January 16, 2015, 08:05:25 pm »
ewe not able to walk she lay down not able to get up.eating and drinking water ok.someone please help.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: zwartable ewe not walking
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 08:29:49 pm »
Is she in lamb? Age? Number of lambs?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 08:31:11 pm »
First thought - listeria, in which case give a dose of antibiotic, eg tetracycline ASAP.
Classic signs of listeria are legs paddling the ground but animal unable to get up. In the early stages the animal remains alert and eats and drinks well.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 09:06:38 pm »
Id call your vet asap. Could be any number of diseases, including listeria, hypocalcaemia, ketosis.
All of which require rapid treatment to prevent death.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 09:53:55 pm »
give 80ml cmpd (calcium magnesium glucose mix) under the skin & phone your vet asap

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 06:51:50 pm »
Do we have a result/diagnosis?
Rules are made:

macvity

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 11:29:35 pm »
sorry for late reply.she is not doing two bad.still eating and drinking water.cant call vet she is no good.she did a operation on my dog charge me lots of money dog died.she came out to my 2 sick ewes last year they died so im not ringing her again.i gave here calcium glucose.so i see how she gets on
.thanks guys
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 11:36:33 pm by macvity »

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 12:01:51 am »
Find a new vet asap!

Not always easy I know. I am on my third vet since I moved here and not sure this is the one I am going to stay with. To be fair I don't think the others have been bad vets but just not experienced in the animals I need them to know about. You do need to find a vet you have some faith in as you must have someone who can administer to your animals when unwell.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 09:28:13 am »
Its not on to take your Veterinary advice from the internet chat rooms with a vague description of the problem as you see it. Find a new Vet Monday for the sake of your animals welfare. If you wait until it is chronic and going to die anyway no one will be able to save it.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 10:06:34 am »
If you've given her calcium and not got a fairly immediate improvement, then that is not the problem.
Have you tried antibiotics? The reason I suggested listeria is because you said she's still eating and drinking, and with the other suggestions the animals go off their food rapidly.
There's nothing wrong with asking other people's advice before calling a vet, out but in order to get a meaningful answer you need to give some useful details. Rosemary asked a number of fairly vital questions which you didn't answer, so based on the information we've got she could just have a couple of broken legs!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 09:05:56 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 10:50:16 am »
I hate to say it, but perhaps if you left it too late with your dog and the other two sheep you mentioned, trying to treat yourself via the internet, then the vet didn't have a chance to save them.
Unfortunately big operations on animals cost money (google the chap who compared the cost of cruciate surgery in himself to his dog for a more realistic idea of what value for money vet operations actually are!) and you would have been told that there is always a risk of losing an animal when operating or the few days after. If the vet was willing to perform the surgery, its because they thought the dog had a chance of recovering. We don't do surgery on animals that are going to die anyway to charge owners money.
Sheep are prey animals so they try to hide illness so as not to appear weak. This means when you see they're ill, they may not have a lot of reserve left before they die. Thus you need to get correct medical treatment for them quickly. It also makes it extra hard for the vet to diagnose as they really hide their pain and other symptoms.
I hope for her sake that your ewe is not suffering while you find a new vet.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 09:14:33 pm »

We found our excellent farm vet from the breeder that we got our first lambs from. Could you do something similar? :)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 10:09:38 am »
You need to find a new vet .... no one should keep animals if they don't have a vet at the end of a phone.

a one line comment on a forum is not the way to treat any animal.  Unlikely to be lack of calcium if she is eating OK.   

Please get a vet out now ... and don't blame the vet if this sheep dies, she has been down for 3 days now.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 11:14:01 am »
Once you've loads of shepherding experience or a farming neighbour you can call on you may well have a fair idea of the cause of a ewe being recumbent.  Otherwise you really must call the vet straight away.  Sheep don't show they've a problem until it's serious.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS