Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: rabbits for the pot  (Read 3902 times)

Sanxay smallholder

• Joined Jan 2010
rabbits for the pot
« on: January 15, 2010, 04:49:24 pm »
We have just killed our 5th litter of rabbits for the pot.  All 7 of them appeared in good health and had reached a good size, being a little older than we would normally keep them to, at about 14 weeks.  All of them had enlarged livers with grey/white 'deposits' throughout the livers, possibly fat deposits but hard to say.  We have of course discarded the livers - tragedy, they are the best bit - and want to try and find out what might have been the cause so as to prevent it for the future.  Anyone got any ideas?  Thanks.

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
Re: rabbits for the pot
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 05:00:57 pm »
Sorry I can't answer your question, but would like to ask you a question.  Do you not get attached to them?  I have killed my cockerals and although beautiful, they are not cute and cuddly.  Do you have a different way of dispatching them?  I have had live rabbits which I am quite happy to skin but someone else kills them for me.  Even then it is only because I do not have the land or the rifle to do the job myself.  I am not condoning you in any way.  I am envious and a bit curious as to how you do it.  Would it be true in guessing that there are no children, or are you bringing up your children to be farm kids. (You look after it, kill it and eat it - no waste and you know what you are getting).  If you have a few minutes, would love a reply. 

Sanxay smallholder

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 05:41:12 pm »
Hi
No, it isn't easy, but we tend to the view that if you are going to eat meat it is morally preferable to give the animal as good a life as possible, dispatch is as quickly and humanely as you can and then not waste any of the meat.  Killing any animal is a very profound experience in my view and not to be taken lightly.  I always get a bit upset and sad, but would find it hard to justify eating meat if I couldn't face the process, and I don't want to be a vegetarian!  I don't expect everyone, or even anyone, else to share that view, but it is one we have come to ourselves, and feel OK with. 

No we don't have children, at least, not here, our children being 27 and 29, but at least one set of friends has a son who is very fond of the rabbits but likes rabbit casserole even more.  We live in rural France and don't yet have a gun so chickens get their necks wrung and rabbits get picked up, held firmly and knocked very hard on the back of the head - all over in about 30 seconds from being picked out of the hutch.

I did originally say I didn't think I could cope with rabbit raising for the pot, but the economics of it make it a bit of a no brainer.  I do work quite hard not to get too attached to the litters - the breeding stock are called Mopsy, Flopsy and Roger (which is his job description as well as his name) and they will get an honourable burial when they go!  We don't EVER name the litter rabbits that are going in the pot, via the freezer.

redtail

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 11:57:25 pm »
It may be that your rabbits diet is too high in starch and fats - which will promote 'fatty liver disease.

Killing:  As a small boy I watched my father kill and dress out rabbits.  From the moment a rabbits was in his hands to the skinned and gutted carcase was seconds only.  There used to be competitions for this as a speed event at the Dairy Show held in London - can you imagine the furore if this happened today :o

Working ferrets and hunting with hawks since the Ark first grounded I have since killed many thousands of wild rabbits but I still feel a twinge of guilt.  Silly really as they die quickly and are never wasted. I also try not to dis-honour them and treat them with respect ie not tossing them around.

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 08:52:34 am »
We live in rural France
I hate to say this but living there does explain it.  It is a common practice and not shunned upon.  If I could do it I would, but living in England with children around (not mine but neighbours), it would be fround upon to kill a rabbit.  Which is comical, seeing that during the war, nearly everyone kept rabbits in the back garden for extra food and it was quite acceptable.  That is one reason why I would love to live in France.  Attitudes to animals are different.  Not that the French are cruel but more like "if it runs, walks, flies or hops! its is good for the pot.  Have you considered a Pigeonanirre? (don't know if that is how you spell it).  Well done and good luck. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS