Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do you all use as bedding for pigs outdoors?  (Read 4702 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
What do you all use as bedding for pigs outdoors?
« on: January 12, 2015, 11:30:27 pm »
What does everyone use for there pigs outdoors? Mine currently have lots of straw in there ark but the sows seem to be collecting everything the dig up into there 'nest' plastic etc I've been taking this out are they cold? They have a really thick straw bed

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: What do you all use as bedding for pigs outdoors?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 01:33:41 am »
My sow digs up reshes and takes them in to help her structure her bed, bedroom and wind break.  I don't interfere, just give her more straw when she looks like she needs some.

She likes to make a mattress of mostly straw, with high sides (higher than her) made of straw and reshes, a windbreak inside the door ditto, and then a pile of just fresh straw to push her head into. 

Her ark has a wooden floor raised off the ground.  The metal arc is corroding a bit in places where it joins the floor; she blocks these gaps with trampled soil and reshes.  I was clearing some of this out one day and she made it very plain that she'd spent some time doing this and did not appreciate my interference!

She also makes an entrance mat by strewing reshes in front of the door, so that she (and I) can get in and out of the ark without sinking into the mud.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 08:05:26 am »
I agree, give them loads of straw and they will make their own arrangements. As Sally says, any surplus they will fashion into a doormat!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 08:34:25 am »
we had a shaving base and straw on top. enough to sleep under.

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 09:51:11 am »
We use straw too, though our sows also carry in bits of wood, bracken, dry grass etc. to decorate their beds. The mangalitzas tend to scorn their arcs unless it's very windy or wet. They carry in mud (deliberately) and seem happiest in a nest of strawy mud, which makes it a bugger to clean out!
We have one bloodline of OSBs who all seize bundles of their straw, cavort joyfully around the pen and then drop it and repeat the performance. Then they complain that there's no straw in their ark  ::)
Dan, we need a cavorting/dancing pig icon - mouthful of straw optional!

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 10:25:38 am »
I'm glad it's not just mine who do this then  :roflanim: just give them some more straw which the weaners are looking for missed grain in  :thumbsup:

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 05:54:57 pm »
Yup, straw for me too and plenty of it.
We've got a little kunekune sow who likes to feng shui her arc/pen/field  ::) there's always a mouthful or two very deliberately carried and placed - she obviously likes it 'just so' and doesn't like it if you try to put it back. Funnily enough, her offspring do the same thing  :innocent:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 01:16:29 am »
I use straw and sometimes hay if I am waiting for more straw to arrive. Pigs seem to be happy with either and make into a warm bed.

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 07:34:35 pm »
We get through tons of straw because we have one of Happy Hippys Feng-Sui pigs (Brother the pig) who loves to decorate the field. Xxxxxx

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 08:49:40 am »
We have pigs outside in arks and inside in the byres/stables, both have copious amounts of straw (too much according to my OH :-J)
The pigs in the arks make big high walled nests in the back of the arks and use a layer of straw in the doorway for sunbathing on when the sun puts in an appearance!
The inside pigs tend to gather all the straw in one corner of the byre/stable and again high walls are the order of the day.
My pigs have positively HATED all this very windy weather maybe that's beocoz they're GOS with big floppy ears! just watching the weather now and its looks like they'll all need topping up again this afternoon.   :)
Mandy :pig:

Waterside

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 01:50:19 pm »
Straw or hay in arcs and barn, local farmer cuts our fields and we swap our hay for some straw and barley we spout as feed.  We also use dead bracken in late winter/spring on the ground.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS