Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wormers  (Read 3631 times)

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
Wormers
« on: January 11, 2015, 08:54:14 pm »
What wormers do you use and wher is the best ( cheepest ) place to get it , I only have 30 birds so don't need loads of it thanks

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Wormers
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 09:05:35 pm »
Flubenvet is the best. I get mine from mole valley farmers. Or you can get it on-line. Half a 60g tub is the right amount to mix with 10kgs of feed. It is best to mix the feed with a bit of vegetable oil first so that the flubenvet sticks to it and doesn't just settle to the bottom. Alternatively, Marriages will deliver sacks of feed ready mixed with Flubenvet.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 09:08:42 pm »
Thanks for the fast reply , what's the withdrawal on it ? And how much is a pack ?

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 09:19:38 pm »
The withdrawal period stated on the tub is nil for eggs from laying hens. This means that you can continue to eat eggs whilst your chickens are being wormed with Flubenvet. I’m sure you won’t be eating your hens but they must not be slaughtered for human consumption during treatment. Treated birds may be slaughtered only after 7 days from the last treatment.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 11:47:38 pm »
I tend to use the Flubenvet Marriages too - I get it from Farm and Pet place and it's not much more per sack than the normal layers (£10.99 for 20kg). I do have some powder but it's a pain to mix, even for 30 birds because you dose it at 3g per kilo or something so you have to weigh everything you feed them for a week (just worming at the moment so it's fresh in my mind). I think the only reason to buy the powder separately is if you want to dose younger birds who aren't yet on layers. And one tub of Flubenvet powder doses a 20kg sack but costs quite a lot - I bought it from the vet a couple of weeks ago and seem to think it was about £20 so that's a total cost of nearly £30 per sack as opposed to £11 for the predosed stuff.

You can also dose with Panacur but it's a pain because you have to dose the bird direct so it's fine on an individual bird but not great for flocks. It's also not licensed for poultry but the vet will give it after explaining that to you.

Withdrawal for flubenvet as sss posted - and actually I need to eat some of my cockerels and drakes which have all started bickering so I thought the withdrawal wouldn't be a problem but I'm now counting the days until I can act!

H

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 10:25:17 am »
Thanks for that , I will try get a bag tonight from farm suplies

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 09:03:21 pm »
Went to the feed mill , thay sed I could not have flubnvet with out a vet visit and tryed to sell me some herbal vermex ? I will try bata tomorow 

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 09:14:08 pm »
Yep, avoid the vermex (not that it's harmful - just that it may help digestive help but no proof that it does any harm to worms!). Order online - honestly Farm and Pet Place tend to undercut the feed suppliers (round here anyway) and so you make up the for the delivery costs (and petrol having to drive around all the feed suppliers) by paying less for them. If you ordered now, chances are you'd get it on Weds or Thursday. For the Flubenvet pellets, they have a vet who gives you a call just to check you know what you're doing - it basically goes along the line of how many birds? have you used it before? seven days treatment no more than every 3 months? OK, go for it.

H

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 11:17:25 pm »
We have used the marriages stuff and it's great. As said, not much more than your standard feed and job done.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 11:51:04 pm »
Flubenvet is a licensed wormer with strict testing so it does what it says. Vermex is a herbal alternative with no such strict testing to show it works. Use your pennies wisely  ;)
If you cannot get marriages feed with Flubenvet added there are alternative feeds with Flubenvet added, or you can buy the tub of powder to add to your own poultry feed but it is a faf ( but with 30 birds may work out much cheaper )
No egg withdrawal with Flubenvet or vermex. They are both very safe.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 06:36:21 pm »

I just phone Marriages directly and they deliver. They are very helpful.
:)
Phone number is 01245 612019

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 06:39:38 pm »
Just orderd some from farmandpet was £13 some thing for 20kg delivered thanks for all your help 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS