Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: jabbing to prevent bitch coming in season.  (Read 4506 times)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
jabbing to prevent bitch coming in season.
« on: October 08, 2014, 01:06:18 pm »
Went to the vets yesterday for one of my bitches annual jabs.  In conversation with the vet i mentioned that she was due on heat very soon which was a nightmare as its her first shooting season and I hope to be picking up with her regularly.  She had her first season in march at 8 months, and therefore could come on heat anytime now which will put her out of action for a fair few shoots and bugger up my training!!  The vet suggested i take her back next week for a jab which will prevent her coming in season.  He reassured me that it wont mess up her system etc, but i am a bit concerned about having this done.  Anyone had their bitch jabbed for this?  Any side effects etc? Many thanks.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Re: jabbing to prevent bitch coming in season.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 01:30:28 pm »
There have been many discussion on this on various Facebook groups. Mostly breeding and gundog groups.
From what I have read, and what I have seen with other peoples bitches, I would strongly advise against it.
I would accept the inevitable and use the time to keep on with your training. Assuming she is only about 13 months old now, I would not be in a hurry to get her into the field yet. You have many, many years ahead of you working together.
Reports I have heard of from the injection vary greatly but below are some.
- very effective with no future complications
- limited effectiveness (especially if you are not sure when she is due in season
- inconsistent seasons thereafter
- trouble conceiving.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 01:48:16 pm »
I have done it, mainly because I couldn't keep dog and bitch separate, and along time ago - no ill effects at all and normal seasons after they stopped, plus normal whelping too. And the drugs are much refined since then.  Not sure |I'd take the chance again though.

However, you need to be absolutely sure there is no other way, and the timing may be crucial - if she is almost in season now or already in season it can muck up their hormones even more, so think about it, research, don't rush into it tomorrow or next week, and make an informed decision.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 01:56:28 pm »
Thank you, i wasnt very keen on the idea, and will research it further and speak to my vet in depth.  I am planning to have her spayed next year in between seasons as i do not want to breed from her (even though she is a cracking little bitch) as there are more than enough black labs available without adding to the numbers!  If she is spayed i wont have this problem again!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 02:49:16 pm »
Thank you, i wasnt very keen on the idea, and will research it further and speak to my vet in depth.  I am planning to have her spayed next year in between seasons as i do not want to breed from her (even though she is a cracking little bitch) as there are more than enough black labs available without adding to the numbers!  If she is spayed i wont have this problem again!!
You'll need to wait to about halfway between this next season and when she is due again - usually around 3 months if she has pretty well a 6 month cycle..

Much respect for doing the responsible thing!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 04:58:06 pm »
All my dogs are spayed! Too much hassle having a bitch on heat in the shooting season.  I would love a litter out of my black lab but no home would be good enough for the pups!  Also its hard work having puppies! My mum used to breed retrievers when she was younger, so i know the hard work involved.  I will stick to lambs and calves, far easier!!  And you can eat them!!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 11:55:32 am »
Sorry to have a go WBF but I fundamentally disagree!

My perspective as someone who has the pleasure of wielding the knife if she had to have two C sections she did not have excellent genetics and the fact the offspring are now spread far and wide could be a problem for the breed. I hope that her descendants don't pass on her unfortunate inability to whelp (see British Bulldogs).

How are you measuring her genetic worth as excellent? You cannot measure the genetic worth of an animal by its price tag, the price tags of its relatives and least of all by its ability to win show ribbons. Just because you, I, or anyone else buy an animal and want it to be good doesn't make it any better and being blind to their faults is unhelpful.   

The best sheep dog is the one that rounds up the sheep with least fuss. Caesarians = A lot of fuss, any bitch that can do what yours can and give birth is a far superior animal IMO

It was a poor decision to breed from her twice. I gather since you say you had to have her spayed you would have bred her again given the choice. I apologise for the tone of the reply being a bit sharp, I do find this subject exasperating. :huff:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 05:50:20 pm »
The two breedings were completely accidental. Her having fantastic genetics was because her father was one of the best red welsh stud sheepdogs, working in Wales. I think it may have been a fault in her cervix. However I had a ewe who had ringwomb, only found out after I had to have a vet give her a c section, both lambs were fine and the female never inherited the problem. I have had no complaints from anyone breeding them, in fact I had someone who bought one come back to me asking if I had any more for sale to keep their other one company, as they were really impressed with it. As to her rounding up sheep, well she is fantastic! Very fast and knows what to do. No I had her spayed because I specifically did not want to breed from her again.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 05:53:39 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 07:24:26 pm »
The fact is you get what you keep, her offspring are likely to behave like her, in good and bad ways, breeding from animals who cannot procreate naturally can only increase the frequency of problems in the breed (Belgian Blue cattle). Its a probability thing, selecting for any trait (eg. inability to whelp) increases the chances of it being seen, it may not be seen every time in every animal but the probability of seeing it increases the more c section puppies are out there. I am glad you have had no complaints, though I wonder did you complain to the breeder you got her from? Also I am particularly glad that you say she does work well.

I drive past your buffalo sometimes I think, near the money farm

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 07:54:58 pm »
No I didn't complain to the breeder, I wish I had, but it doesn't matter if she doesn't breed but works well that's fine, afterall pups are a hassle. Manys the time I've put me back out making sure they suckle from their mother. She did turn out fab pups though, one of them, a male, we struggled to sell, i wish i kept him he was rounding up sheep at four months. Tell ya what he could have been a champion, and i kick meself for not keeping him.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 10:57:05 pm »
Hey guys write this in on preloved. Welsh collie. There are some red welsh pups for sale.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS