Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: GOS gilt for sale  (Read 1973 times)

gheath90

• Joined Dec 2013
GOS gilt for sale
« on: February 15, 2015, 07:01:57 pm »
2 year old Gloucester Old Spot gilt for sale. She has not had any litters as I have been working away from the farm so lack of time. I am now off travelling so she needs to be sold.
Lovely, friendly, well bred gilt.
West Sussex

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: GOS gilt for sale
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 08:53:37 pm »
You ain't gonna like this but gonna tell it like I see it as I see this happen far too often.
IMO she is only fit to go for sausages. At 2yrs old she will be past getting in pig, fat will have grown over her ovaries and she will not get in pig so at best she's a nice pig who would make somebody a nice pet if they have the finances to keep an unproductive pig. Its YOUR fault, putting off getting her in pig becoz your work life has become priority (it happens we all have to work) you haven't thought about the consequences for you poor pig.
I hope you can find a forever home for her, maybe a petting farm or the like but for animals like this the best option is sausages then you know you did your best for her and she doesn't end up in a market packed in a wagon with a 100 other sows scared out of her mind.
Learn from this peeps.
Mandy :pig:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 10:12:39 pm »
Got to agree with Mandy I'm afraid.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 07:42:49 am »
Me too, pigs make expensive pets!! How do I know ? ::) ::)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 01:36:00 pm »
I'm with Mandy on this one.  Has she been on her own as well?  Pig is a herd animal, after all.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS