Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs and silage  (Read 6880 times)

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
Pigs and silage
« on: January 09, 2015, 11:08:26 am »
It may have been asked before, do pigs eat silage as a supplement along with rolls as grass is getting scarce?

Noticed how they are pushing under fence to get at fresh grass.

Thanks for any comments.

Phill
Pigs are human tooo

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Pigs and silage
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 11:17:59 am »
They will eat a very little, but IME they chew most up and spit it out again  :-\

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 11:38:11 am »
They will eat a very little, but IME they chew most up and spit it out again  :-\
I fed pigs with a bit of silage along with their feed, they loved it and ate the whole lot. As a permanent feed well am not sure ???
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 08:04:29 pm »
mine used to love it but yes they spat most out.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 10:35:06 pm »
I remember Blinkers on here saying she gave her pigs a bit of haylage in the winter as an extra. They had it anyway, and would give some to the pigs.

Beth

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 05:37:07 pm »
As my pigs have turn the lot over.....I bought a big bale waste of money tbh they just stood on it cows liked it though

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 07:24:59 pm »
I've offered my pigs hay and haylage and had it turned down even in the worst weather. Barley straw is eaten in moderation.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 01:12:01 pm »
My OSB and her Saddleback x daughter would eat just a little hay in the depths of winter.  All pigs seem to love straw at any time, snuffling to get the grains and using the remainder for bedding.  I've never offered silage or haylage, it hadn't occurred to me that they might eat it!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 02:01:44 pm »
Our Kunekune eat hay and haylage, they love it! (but are primarily grazers) haven't tried silage though.

Waterside

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 02:00:13 pm »
Pigs need roughage and between 14-17% easily assimilated protein in their feed.

Silage has been used and DEFRA have/had articles on this.

We have access to silage but instead feed our LB's sprouted barley.  Weight for weight the same amounts as with pelleted pig feeds.

We sprinkle with diatomous earth 10g per kg body weight.

The water trough has rusty iron in it.

Sprouted barley requires a few grow bag trays, barley seeds we get from a local farmer as part of a barter but costs £90-116 a ton and yields six to seven times that amount in fodder.  Feed on fourth day when shoots 4" long.

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 05:52:46 pm »
Pigs need roughage and between 14-17% easily assimilated protein in their feed.

Silage has been used and DEFRA have/had articles on this.

We have access to silage but instead feed our LB's sprouted barley.  Weight for weight the same amounts as with pelleted pig feeds.

We sprinkle with diatomous earth 10g per kg body weight.

The water trough has rusty iron in it.

Sprouted barley requires a few grow bag trays, barley seeds we get from a local farmer as part of a barter but costs £90-116 a ton and yields six to seven times that amount in fodder.  Feed on fourth day when shoots 4" long.
Waterside, I'm interested to know how long you've been using this feed regime and if it has any adverse effects? (sorry, I'm really nosey!) what age/weight are your finished pigs and how are they for fat? Do you give any vitamin or minerals other than the DE? And lastly (sorry  :-[) How are your litter sizes and piglet mortality rates?
I'm always on the lookout for sustainable alternatives to bought in feed so am genuinely interested to know.
Thanks  :wave:

Higher Seawardstone farm

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 09:46:42 am »
Our pigs like haylage , we bed them up outside with old round bales it's cheaper than straw and they stand eating it quite happily

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS