Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pond filter/ pump for duck pond  (Read 8361 times)

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
Pond filter/ pump for duck pond
« on: January 08, 2015, 03:37:24 pm »
We really want to dig a proper pond for the ducks in the orchard. does anyone else have a pond with a pump/ filter that doesn't need emptying and cleaning constantly?
Living the 'Good Life' in our little Chapel in the rural welsh countryside.
Proud owner of 3 Border Collies, Giant Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chickens, Runner Ducks, 3 'pet sheep' &  Jacob Sheep.
Loving life :)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Pond filter/ pump for duck pond
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 03:45:08 pm »
What's the purpose of the pump?  Is it for filling / emptying the pond, or just for recirculating the contents via the filter to clean up the water?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 04:46:30 pm »
Just for keeping it clean :)
Proud owner of 3 Border Collies, Giant Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chickens, Runner Ducks, 3 'pet sheep' &  Jacob Sheep.

kipper

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 05:23:10 pm »
Im interested on the replys for this one as ive just bought a 10 foot x 10 foot x 4 foot deep solid plastic pond for my ducks and geese but not got as far as thinking about filters etc
I was thinking about possibly a bottom drain as they are messy and will soon turn the water to pea soup so i thought empty it completely every few weeks and refill

Good luck with your project

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 05:26:27 pm »
Well, I've used a hydrocyclone before for something similar in an industrial setting:

I've never thought what I'd use on a duck pond though. 

Any sort of cloth filter, sand filter etc is going to block pretty quickly, and then have to be cleaned out like you say (nice!!).  The advantage of something like the hydrocyclone is that it operates automatically to blows the sludge clear, usually on a timed cycle.

How deep are your ducks' pockets?  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 07:46:28 pm »
Any idea of websites i can check out for what id need and to get a rough price? :)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 05:41:59 pm »
Any attempts at keeping a duck  pond clean by filtering will be futile. It's hard enough to keep a fish pond clean and they aren't constantly carrying mud and shite into the water.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 06:00:42 pm »
I went to buy some hens from a chap a few years ago and he showed me his other animals... I was really impressed at how clean his duck pond was (he had several call ducks in a pen with a fiberglass fishpond) so I asked him if he had just cleaned it, he said he hadn't cleaned it for months. His secret was a UV filter and a bunch of koi carp that ate most of the emmmm "waste"... I never tried it, but i always remember it! Maybe google would have more details on this idea!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS