Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: rescued hedgehog  (Read 2976 times)

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
rescued hedgehog
« on: October 26, 2014, 03:45:11 pm »
Strange one- found a hedgehog outside the front door this morning and assumed it was dead and had been left there by the cat. Later that day I went to dispose of it only to pick it up and find it was actually very much alive!

As far as I can see it isn't obviously injured but the weather is really bad here and it has not tried to hide somewhere. I have now put it in an old lick bucket and covered it in straw.

I have no idea what to do with it?? Is it hibernating? Does it need food and drink? Anyone have any advise?

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
Re: rescued hedgehog
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 04:35:24 pm »
Probably best to ring one of the rescue numbers from http://hedgehogrescue.co.uk/ and get proper advice, and possibly they'll have a carer who will take it.
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 04:50:20 pm »
Our hedgehog group recommends cat food, some water in a shallow dish and put them in a box, then get them to them ASAP :) They should be in hibernation now I think so any still awake are going to need help over the winter

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 04:56:15 pm »
I should have said, unfortunately we don't have any kind of rescue places on the island we live on so any help needs to come from us. We have put down cat food but so far it's not moved from its curled up ball. I will try ringing somewhere though

gapcap

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 05:11:51 pm »
When I found a poorly little one, I rang a local rescue who told me the first thing a small/poorly hedgehog needs is heat,so I put it under a heatlamp and it perked up. I took it in to the rescue later on, where it did well apparantly. So heat first :)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 05:15:44 pm »
Hi Clarebelle,

We have started helping a hedgehog rescue but we are quite inexperienced so far.

If the hedgehog is out in the day it is in trouble .... they are nocturnal and you wouldn't see them in the day unless they are ill.

Can you weigh the hog? This will give rescues an idea of the hogs age and they will be better able to give you advice. If an autumn juvenile it may need some help to survive the winter as it will not be at a suitable weight to hibernate. They should be around 650g I believe.

It could be suffering from lungworm or ticks which are both common.

For now, pop hog in a box (curver/storage type box) with shredded newspaper and straw for a bed. Cover with wire or similar .... they can climb very well and escape. You can feed chicken/lamb based dog food .... know you have dogs. Give water to drink. They can have goats milk or lactose free milk but not cows milk as they are lactose intolerant. You can pop a well covered hot water bottle in the box too. Can have mealworms.

You could try .... Howey Hedgehog Rescue or Little Silver Hedgehog Rescue .... contact by the net/facebook. Miles from you but you can explain where you are and sure they would try to help at least with some advice.

HTH .... crossposted with gapcap

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 07:24:48 am »
I'm afraid the hedgehog died yesterday. We thought it was doing ok as it seemed to be eating the mealworms and cat food we put out for it however when we fed it yesterday morning it was dead.

Later that day my husband just happened to look at the hutch we had been keeping the hog in to see a mouse inside the hutch. The mouse then squeezed itself through the cm squared wire to get out!!

We couldn't believe it could get through such a small gap! So in reality the hog probably never recovered and it was probably the mice who were eating the food. On closer inspection now it was dead it did seem to have some wounds on it abdomen.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 06:59:32 am »
Poor little soul :(  Jim found a tiny hedgehog the night before last on the garden steps and, luckily my daughter in law works at Prickly Ball Farm, a hedgehog rescue centre only a couple of miles away.
She told me that it must weigh at least 600 grams to survive hibernation and when I weighed it it weighed 273 grams so the grandchildren and I took it in yesterday morning.
Other than being tiny she was fit and healthy and will be kept at the farm until next spring when she will be released   back here.
I was told that, as well as chicken or rabbit cat food or, if non available, dog food, they will also enjoy muesli, mealworms or wild bird seed.
Clarebelle, I can see you will be starting a hedgehog rescue!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS