Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advise on raised bed depths and size.  (Read 4318 times)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Advise on raised bed depths and size.
« on: January 04, 2015, 06:33:05 pm »
I am completely new to growing veg, so please be gentle  :hug:

I have levelled out some of the hillside on a south facing slope in our bottom field, I went a bit nuts really as I always do with a digger cos thats the easy bit.

We dont really have any topsoil and a clay mess underneath it (which is now what I am down too).

I mainly want to grow root veg as we have hundreds of rabbits and lots of wind.

I plan to make raised beds out of pallets and will obviously need to fill them with topsoil (we can only get a small vehicles up to the farm so a lorry load is out the question and so I need to know about depths of soil)

How deep would the pallets/topsoil need to be in order to grow things like potatoes, swede, parsnips, sweet potatoes, beetroot, radishes?  And what yeilds would I get if I planted them say in a raised garden that was 10m x 1m?

Also is there anything else I could grow that would not be blown away or eaten by rabbits?

Thanks

Barry

Mmm and I want carrots!!! Will rabbits dig them out?  Are ll root veg going to be eaten by rabbits?  Do I need a rabbit fence?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 06:35:02 pm by bazzais »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Advise on raised bed depths and size.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 08:58:44 pm »
Definitely need rabbit fencing!

Ours are about 10 inches off the ground (scaffolding boards), and all we did (on heavy clay too) was to invert the grass clods then add loads of manure, some sand and excess soil that the pigs had turned into a hill. BUT that means no parsnips or carrots for a year or so they don't like freshly manured soil. Tatties and onions are ok in it.

You may want to get the Charles Dowding book on "no Dig methods"out from the library - but you will needs loads of compost/manure to fill your beds with.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 10:22:36 pm »
It would help if you could find a stable or similar who would be happy to give you a load of manure although I know you say you can't get a lorry there. I filled my two foot six raised beds with part rotted manure and had good crops.

For potatoes, you could fill the beds to half way and then plant your seed potatoes. As you earth up, the level of the bed will increase. It's a way of moving all that manure/soil/whatever in several goes but, as Anke says, no carrots or parsnips the first year or two.

A friend of mine finds that the rabbits dig up her bulbs every year so I suspect they would be even keener to dig up carrots. Yes, to fencing.

Anther way, that might defeat the rabbits, which depends on how many pallets you can access, is to build a pile of about three or four pallet deep and surround it with pallets on their sides, forming boxes. Lined with plastic (remember drainage holes) the soil would then be 12 to 15 inches deep.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 11:47:25 pm »
While you're waiting your year for the fresh manure to rot in your new bed, sow your carrots in a couple of sheep lick buckets, or even old builders buckets, with holes drilled through the bottom for drainage.  They can be filled with the contents of veg growbags (which are cheap but shallow) or molehill soil if you have any, although carrots much prefer a sandy soil to a clay soil.  Also if you have something like well rotted leaf mould or good garden compost (no manure in), that can be added as a fertiliser. Do you have access to seaweed - that's wonderful for quick, light fertility.  You can pack carrots very closely together in buckets.  If you think of the final size you want your carrots to be, then sow them that far apart.

Have you seen the lazy beds thread?  That's an option for building up some soil depth.

Yes, you need to defend your veg against rabbits, also pheasants, deer, sheep, chickens......  It might be easier to build a small wood cage over the bed, one which is light enough to lift off, cover it with mesh, then find a way to tie it down securely against the wind.

Good luck with your new veggie growing venture - it's great fun  :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 04:41:06 am »
Thanks all :)

I'll look up the lazy beds thread now.  I got loads of horse crap up here - got 25 of the things (or well the misses has lol) although most are out, there is still plenty of muck hanging around.

I wil def have to stock fence it off against sheep and the ponies - but the idea of making the raised beds slightly higher sounds a good idea to try and keep rabbits off - maybe as has been said a roof to the raised bed would be easier if I start off small. 

I am loving the idea of a builders bag - never thought of that.

I think I need to start a bit smaller than I have done - even the neighbours asked if I was building another shed the ground I mini digged was so big - but at least I have 5 nice flat tiers in the hillside for maybe using as composting and a few small raised beds and a few builders bags.

I fancied building something like I saw in the botanical gardens in Camarthen where you have a few pallets next to each other with a big composted section in the middle so all the juices flow through :)

I will start by taking some muck over if the ground hardens up in the frost soon (kinda need it now) and start off small - I just had visions of grandure like a walled victorian kitchen garden.

Thanks for you response - am off to find the lazy beds thread :)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 09:03:55 am »
Old tyres, lined with weed supressing stuff around the inside, you can stack them three high and are good for early spuds, runner beans and courgettes. Dumpy bags, folded down for roots, fill with cheap grow bags, may sound expensive initially but you can use it to lighten your soil. Scaffolding boards to make raised beds for salads, contact scaffolding companies for old, unsafe boards. Have done all this in past years with good results.

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 01:05:50 pm »
If you have a digger and can get hold of waste wood, or other coarse matter you could try making a Hugel bed.  I have done this on a small scale and have friend who did it on a much larger scale and the resulting root crops were quite spectacular.  There is lots of information about them to be found on the internet and a nice little explanation article here http://www.permaculture.co.uk/articles/many-benefits-hugelkultur it’s a bit left field compared to normal horticulture but it works.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 04:28:55 pm »
Good point artscott - my blueberries are on a hugel bed and are doing great.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 11:39:19 pm »
Thanks all :)

I'll look up the lazy beds thread now.  I got loads of horse crap up here - got 25 of the things (or well the misses has lol) although most are out, there is still plenty of muck hanging around.

I wil def have to stock fence it off against sheep and the ponies - but the idea of making the raised beds slightly higher sounds a good idea to try and keep rabbits off - maybe as has been said a roof to the raised bed would be easier if I start off small. 

I am loving the idea of a builders bag - never thought of that.

I think I need to start a bit smaller than I have done - even the neighbours asked if I was building another shed the ground I mini digged was so big - but at least I have 5 nice flat tiers in the hillside for maybe using as composting and a few small raised beds and a few builders bags.

I fancied building something like I saw in the botanical gardens in Camarthen where you have a few pallets next to each other with a big composted section in the middle so all the juices flow through :)

I will start by taking some muck over if the ground hardens up in the frost soon (kinda need it now) and start off small - I just had visions of grandure like a walled victorian kitchen garden.

Thanks for you response - am off to find the lazy beds thread :)
I've tried the builders bags for fruit - not successful.  My raised beds are about 2 feet high, I'd like them higher so my back doesn't hurt so much bending over them.  Job for No1 son in the spring methinks
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 12:20:04 am »
I got it all fenced off this week, except for an opening for the mini digger to get in with bags and soils - £44 for a ton bag at lbs for top soil - which sounds pricey but they also deliver for £2.50 which is good :).  Gona wait until its a bit dryer cos everything is bogged down now.

Cant wait to get this rockin :)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 12:28:06 am »
The most important thing in making raised beds is to have them not too wide, so you can plant the plants easier. Also if you do have to walk over soil put planks down, as this distributes weight evenly. As for the rabbit problem are there any rabbit hunters around your way? I have a guy who comes up every week to hunt rabbits, you can really see the difference when he hasn't been for a while.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 07:32:15 pm »
Bazzais,
Due to the local mud being coalmine blue sulphurous clay I run a soil less system .
 I make my own artificial growth medium from all manner of compostable materials  and have some fantastic results .
 I noticed that you are in Pemboke . if you ever go to Swansea , Landybie , Crosshands area or  Llanelli  you're more than welcome to come here and see what we have / I do  , I'm in SA134BZ
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS