Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 7 month old lamb walking on front knees......  (Read 7264 times)

PetiteGalette

• Joined Dec 2011
7 month old lamb walking on front knees......
« on: January 02, 2015, 12:38:38 pm »
On Monday we found our 7-month old ewe lamb in the field led down and unable to get up. It was a old day and we took her into the barn, wormed her, gave her multi-vits and drenched her with electrolytes. She had been in another enclosure with her brother since she was born but he had to go in with our ram to keep him company when he'd had his fun with the older ewes. We put Chantelle in with the older ewes but she kept calling for her brother and wasn't really settled with the ewes (including her mum).
Her eyes are watering a little and she seems to be loosing some of her fur walking round as she does. She has recovered some of her strength and is now out in the front garden happily eating grass and shuffling along.
any ideas what the problem is - the vet didn't seem to know! and what I can give her to get her to walk again on all fours? She can now balance when stood up but forward motion results in her falling onto her knees..........
A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them.  ~Leonard Louis Levinson

babysham

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Lancashire/Yorkshire Border
Re: 7 month old lamb walking on front knees......
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 12:47:45 pm »
Have you checked between her hooves to see if an infection or something like scald?

"The eyelids may be closed and crusty" is a sign of Pasteurellosis quoting "The Sheep Keepers Veterinary Handbook" by Agnes Winter and Judith Charnley. This was certainly the case with one of mine this week - her eyes had gone to looking like slits and she just kept sitting down but after two does of Tetroxy LA she is great and her eyes wide open again.

PetiteGalette

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 01:31:58 pm »
Thanks for your reply.
The first thing we looked for was scald or feet problems but her feet are fine - I did clean them with a Oxytet spray - just in case!
Her eyes aren't crusty - they just seem to be watering - I keep cleaning around them but am thinking of putting some tetracycline cream on to see if that will help...........

P.S, I also gave her some cider vinegar yesterday after reading such good reports about it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 01:37:39 pm by PetiteGalette »
A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them.  ~Leonard Louis Levinson

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 06:54:56 pm »
I'd consult your vet but in the meantime consider giving a shot of antibiotic - she's prime age for pasteurellosis and stress (in this case from being separated) can tip them into illness very quickly.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 10:43:33 pm »
I'd probably give her a jab to be safe.

PetiteGalette

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 09:18:04 pm »
Hi MF and PL,
We made the vet to give her a jab and she is much better now - she can stand up but is still very wobbly and l goes down on her knees to eat! But, she's in the front garden(!!) where I can keep an eye on her and give her supplementary food and she's still eating well.
Every so often I get her onto her feet so that she can remember what it is like.............
The runny eyes are definitely clearing up.............
many thanks for all yourhelp.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS