Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A nice surprise!  (Read 6157 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
A nice surprise!
« on: January 01, 2015, 11:22:16 am »
I went to open the hens today and found one of them had laid an egg, that's a nice start to the year isn't it? :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: A nice surprise!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 11:26:05 am »
my light sussex havent really stopped laying this year - I have had a few eggs (2 from three birds) all through christmas.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 02:32:12 pm »
Me too - not had eggs from my layers (second winter) since early November. They've gone through a heavy moult and are now finally looking normal again. A perfect dark brown Maran egg on New Years Day. Smashing!  :thumbsup:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 05:38:11 pm »
Our girls are slowly coming back into production this week too. Three eggs this week from six old layers who all went through a heavy moult   :chook:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 08:24:28 pm »
My two buff sussex hens moulted 2 mnths ago and quit laying, until today when they resumed. :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 10:05:51 pm »
This afternoon I also got an egg from one of my buff Sussex - same as you waterbuffalofarmer - two months of moulting and no laying, started again today. It's a joy getting eggs again after what seems like ages without them, especially as wasn't expecting them to come back into lay for a few weeks yet with days still being so short.  :excited:

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Aberdeenshire , Scotland
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 07:23:46 am »
A few days back I had a supermarket boiled egg at breakfast - thinking these really are tasteless compared by the ones we get from our chooks . The next very cold and frosty morning our black orpington laid an egg for me . A lovely end to 2014 . She's now laying every other day ,  thanks and happy new year Maisy !

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 08:07:52 pm »
We're up to 7 or 8 a day from our 15 hens, but thats one a day from the newest 5, one every other day from the next 5 and 1 in total from the oldest birds some of whom haven't produced an egg in 3 months. 
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 06:00:29 pm »
Me too!

First egg of the year after about 6-8 weeks eggless and on New Years Day. :excited:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 09:28:16 am »
Ah well I spoke too soon, no more eggs after that one, i thought it was too good to be true :'(

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 07:15:31 am »
I had a surprise on the 27th December, hen turned up with four chicks! -4'C
Mum and chicks shut in and doing fine  :fc:

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Aberdeenshire , Scotland
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 07:38:31 am »
Well that must have been the best surprise ever ! Well done mum and stay warm .

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 09:39:22 am »
Congrats! That is a surprise indeed

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 01:57:13 pm »
The dear of her, I hope they thrive :fc:

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 05:48:12 pm »
 ;D doing great so far. She's a perennial broody hen... Think this is her 5th batch of chicks from 2014, first batch hatched out in March.
I will be keeping any pullet chicks from this batch to see if it's a genetic trait. It can be annoying but I want to breed more chicks in future and I prefer a hen to rear them rather than brooder.
I broke her broodiness several times though the year, using a cage on grass/few inches above the ground but within a month she was always sitting again. She'd even turn broody on an empty nest box, with slatted bottom and no straw! Disappeared twice too. I spent the whole year feeding her up, so she is also now quite tame and runs over when i go outside.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS