Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 3 year old khaki campbell drake has become aggressive  (Read 2773 times)

Retlock4

• Joined Jan 2015
3 year old khaki campbell drake has become aggressive
« on: January 01, 2015, 10:50:58 am »
Hi all,

I have 8 ducks, 1 is a khaki campbell drake aged 3. Then there is 1 female khaki aged 3 and two runners age 3. The other four are home reared and now 18 months.

Until recently they have all lived peacefully however I recently was out all day and had to leave them in my secure pen, 7 foot by 14 foot,  instead of the usual full garden access. The following morning one of 3 year old runner ducks was very poorly - she had been mated/attacked by my male and could barely move, was blood streaked and shaking. I got her back to health but he will now not allow her to mix with the rest of the flock :(

I am having to keep them away from each other at all times. He has 7 females and is the only male. It appears she has stopped laying either because of the drop in temperature or possibly due to age. This is not a mating situation as he is attacking the front of her neck and pulling out feathers. Anyone have any ideas ???

I appreciate any help.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: 3 year old khaki campbell drake has become aggressive
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 09:02:01 pm »
Is he the only drake?  If there are others he is trying to assert his authority, other than that I have no ideas, except to eat him.  You don't need a drake to get duck eggs.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Retlock4

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 10:40:30 pm »
He is the only drake and has been fine till now. Could he know that she has stopped laying???

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 09:00:34 am »
Casserole.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 08:46:43 pm »
Three isn't old for a domestic duck, so she's probably only temporarily stopped laying.  He's just taken an ill will at her.  Get rid
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS