Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dorper  (Read 2165 times)

Davinci

• Joined Sep 2014
Dorper
« on: December 30, 2014, 10:39:28 pm »
Hi,  after 2 months of getting one of two fields being rented ready -we picked up 5 ewes and a ram to get out flock started.

The ewes had been with a ram ...so hopefully the young ram we bought will be ok for next year..unless we get later lambing ...for any he would have covered.

With buildings at brink of collapse, brambles and growth up to 14 foot out into field from fence and some over 9 foot high....I give thanks to my two sons aged 12 and 14 for all there hard work in helping to clear it all and fence it.

We now have a usable shelter, with Yorkshire boarding and propped up roof and are working on propping up the ajoining building. ( The buildings ..out of 8 supports had 1 which was partly supporting due to being nailed to a half round post dug in next to it. It was just sitting there!).

Some hay, straw, nuts and oats ready...winter here we come.

Anyone else have black headed dorpers?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Dorper
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 08:19:56 am »
What good chaps to help so well :thumbsup: I have a large flock of grandchildren aged 7 to 17 who love to help out and thankful I am for them.
There is a flock of Dorpers a few miles from us, they look fine, solid looking sheep, just the thought of all that wool having to be gathered up or being wasted has put me off having them.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 08:28:11 am »
I have used dorpers in a breeding program and my experience is;

Great fleshing/growth rates---impressive carcases
Poor wool shedders--many need a bit of clipping/tidying up
Terrible feet---they were bred in an arid landscape and have problems adjusting to wetter UK conditions

Good luck, I am sure they will be fun

Davinci

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 09:17:25 am »
Thanks both.  We did some research and know dorpers need to have feet trimmed more often, but were taken by their meat quality and looks.

Our ground is well drained and gently slopes, so overall drier ground type.

Will try to get some pictures on at some point, but I.T is not my strength.

Tim, what breeding program did you enbark on?

Devon lady, so funny ..a flock of grandchildren....but very handy!

Is there a way of viewing where in the world members live?  I am down in south Wales.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 12:12:02 pm »
We used Dorpers along with other hairsheep breeds to create the Exlana ---see my website below or http://www.sig.uk.com/
Exlana concentrates on economic performance for commercial production

The Dorpers were terrible on their feet even on the free draining chalk I have, foot rot/scald and overgrown feet were constant factors.
But if you are prepared to cull hard on these traits then I am sure they could be useful sheep----the black headed ones are certainly striking

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS