Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep skin rugs  (Read 5878 times)

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
sheep skin rugs
« on: May 06, 2008, 09:05:33 am »
My sheep are nearly ready for slaughter. Will I be able to have the skins? I would like to colour them - how do I treat the skins if I can do this?  :)  :sheep:
Karen

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: sheep skin rugs
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 06:43:00 pm »
I think the best thing to do is have a chat with the person who is doing the slaughtering.

Linz

rustyme

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 07:18:34 pm »
http://www.waynesworlds.org.uk/id73.htm

the above site gives a good idea of what you need and how to do things . The commercial way is different and involves all sorts of chemicals and processes. The way outlined in the link is more or less how I have done it in the past. I did a few sheep skins and even a badger ( found by the side of the road ) . When I get my own sheep , I will follow this way of doing it . Dyeing , I would imagine , would be done after curing , with any of the common wool dyes available .
         I used to work in a skin and hide processing place. The main thing you must do when you get your skin is rub plenty of salt into the wet side of it, until you are ready to cure it.  This is maybe best done as soon as you collect it . In hot weather they start to go OFF very fast. Salt it, rub in well and then pop it in a plastic bag or two till you get home.     Make sure you unroll the edges, two big scooped handfulls per sheep skin will do the job and then rub it in well . Hope that is of help ...cheers Russ...

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 05:42:06 pm »
ANYONE   and I mean anyone who wants to know about making their sheep into sheepskins contact Fenland Sheepskin on 01278 427586 and ask for June Tinnion.
I have all my lambs and sheeps skins made into wonderful amazing rugs etc and its not too expensive!
June will tell yuo how to send your skins in phone her well before you slaughter!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS