Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ISO Drum carder  (Read 5978 times)

JFisherGreenlea

• Joined Dec 2014
  • Carlisle
ISO Drum carder
« on: December 29, 2014, 12:38:25 pm »
I wondered if anyone knows of a second hand drum carder and spinning wheel for sale?
I've been carding by hand but want to invest in a drum carder (as I have more fleeces to process next year) and also wanting a beginners wheel, ideally an Ashford Kiwi type?
Please let me know if you hear of any (at a reasonable price).
Thanks
Joanne
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:56:24 pm by JFisherGreenlea »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: ISO Drum carder and spinning wheel
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 04:04:17 pm »
I am selling an Ashford Traveller in very good condition. Single treadle, Scotch tension, built in lazy Kate. Comes with several bobbins, a new drive band and new brake spring. I bought it as a beginner's wheel and have gone onto an Ashford Joy now, so it is no longer being used.  I'm looking for £200 ono. I'm in Shropshire.

JFisherGreenlea

• Joined Dec 2014
  • Carlisle
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 04:46:53 pm »
Thanks for the info - you've already offered me your wheel on Ravelry. Over budget I'm afraid.
Ideally looking for a Ashford traveller or kiwi wheel and an Ashford/Brother or Louet Carder.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 04:56:49 pm by JFisherGreenlea »

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 05:32:34 pm »
Whats your budget ???

JFisherGreenlea

• Joined Dec 2014
  • Carlisle
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 09:44:32 pm »
I have a budget but flexible for the right make/condition depending on postage costs too. Do you know of any? I missed out on both which were sold recently together on ebay for £250 so know the bargains are out there if I wait.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 01:07:13 am »
I have a budget but flexible for the right make/condition depending on postage costs too. Do you know of any? I missed out on both which were sold recently together on ebay for £250 so know the bargains are out there if I wait.

You're right on that; if you can be patient the right wheel will come along in due course!  A friend of mine was looking, wasn't patient and paid well over the odds for hers.  The very next day I bought one for less than half what she'd paid for the same model in better condition.

You'd just missed out on at least three very reasonably-priced Traddies; there'll be another suitable one along before too long.  :fc:

Bargain drum carders are less frequent, but they do come along every now and again. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

JFisherGreenlea

• Joined Dec 2014
  • Carlisle
Re: ISO Drum carder
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 09:57:05 pm »
Think I've got myself sorted with a wheel so just a drum carder to find now.....

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 10:20:56 am »
Couldn't agree more about waiting for the right bargain on eBay. My husband is a well seasoned eBay hunter. He is very patient and researches items endlessly (I think he is a bit obsessed!) - but we have got some fantastic bargains - whereas  if it had been me I would have just gone for the first thing that came along.

He's particularly good at finding things which have been mis-listed (and therefore not many people watching) and - being in Wales - it's often too far for people to come and collect stuff and therefore fewer people bidding means prices tend to be lower sometimes.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

JFisherGreenlea

• Joined Dec 2014
  • Carlisle
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 10:58:43 pm »
Suziequeue- should ask him to hunt down a drum carder for me??

JFisherGreenlea

• Joined Dec 2014
  • Carlisle
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 05:13:24 pm »
Happy happy happy... I've got one on its way. Can not wait - excited muchly! :excited:

chalkylady

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 11:50:33 am »
Help has anybody got a reasonably priced second hand drum carder that I can buy. I want to use it with a group of disadvantaged people and to prepare fleece for some volunteer work at a local hospice and to raise funds for a couple of charities and thought it would speed up preparation time and effort . Please email me if you wish at l.best2@ntlworld.com. thanks

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 09:20:39 am »
It would be useful if you mentioned your location - and even better if you posted your own new thread in the Marketplace; not everyone will look at a comment on an old thread ;)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 09:22:24 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS