Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone lost 2 young black cows - South Ayrshire  (Read 4387 times)

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
Anyone lost 2 young black cows - South Ayrshire
« on: December 28, 2014, 11:23:29 am »
Two rogue beasts currently in a local farmers sheep pen at the bottom of our garden, black and very shaggy, look quite young, have access to water and I've just been down & given them some hay (both came and ate out my hand) they both have a yellow ear tag one reads 30006 the other 2000*
Looks like they have escaped from a neighbouring field, over our land then down the road! The field they have come out of isn't secure for livestock - it's recently been sold so first thoughts are theve popped them into shorten the grass for horses!! Or theve been dumped! Or been running about for some time! I've no idea, I'm sure the farmer who penned them will be doing what he can and know more about it than me, just thought a quick post on here may help! You never know!  :cow:
Area - South Ayrshire Scotland - Maybole/Minshant.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Anyone lost 2 young black cows - South Ayrshire
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 01:12:20 pm »
If they'll come to your hand, can you read the herd mark on the eartag?  The large number you've quoted is the individual number, also on there will be a number of the style 'UK56xxxx' - and that number will identify the farmer who bred them.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 02:12:59 pm »
Two rogue beasts currently in a local farmers sheep pen at the bottom of our garden, black and very shaggy, look quite young, have access to water and I've just been down & given them some hay (both came and ate out my hand) they both have a yellow ear tag one reads 30006 the other 2000*
Looks like they have escaped from a neighbouring field, over our land then down the road! The field they have come out of isn't secure for livestock - it's recently been sold so first thoughts are theve popped them into shorten the grass for horses!! Or theve been dumped! Or been running about for some time! I've no idea, I'm sure the farmer who penned them will be doing what he can and know more about it than me, just thought a quick post on here may help! You never know!  :cow:
Area - South Ayrshire Scotland - Maybole/Minshant.
Why not advertise on facebook? or twitter?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 02:21:36 pm »
Hi sallyinthenorth, theve each just got the one yellow tag, with a large number on as above, I couldn't see any other numbers etc, they are very hairy, will try again later. I only know very basic 'cow stuff' but I think the owners should of got a 'movement licence' would that be correct? I've emailed the British cattle movement service who I guess may know who moved them into our neighboring field! Unless they have been running free for some time! I'd of expected 'someone' to be looking for them by now!

Im not a member of many smallholder/Facebook/twitter groups I doubt my friends in 'the shire' would be interested!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 12:19:01 am »
It'll be under the hair, then, I would think.  The Cattle Movement service won't be able to do anything with just the individual number - every 8th cattle farm will have [had] a 300006.  (The first digit is a marker-type thing, the remaining 5 digits are the individual number of the animal.  The first digit goes from 1 to 7 then back to 1 as the individual numbers go up.)  Mind, not many farms still have #6 alive :thinking: (we're well into our 500s now, and we don't have a massive breeding herd; the dairy cross calves we buy are into the 1000s and 2000s)

Anyhoo, have a look at a typical cattle tag on the Shearwell page, you will see the large individual number and then above it, smaller, the UK<6digits> herd number.  The two together identify the animal specifically, and yes the Cattle Movement service would know who owns / is looking after that beast at the moment.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 12:38:37 pm »
Thanks sally, spoke to the farmer last night, still nothing, he's got someone popping over to help him get hold & get the details today, he seemed to think they must be from a very small herd. Poor things must of been freezing last night he gave them a big bale, I thought maybe the cattle movement could look up the field/area last - movements to the area & work from their, still no sign of anyone looking for them!

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 01:39:10 pm »
Farmers been up, he's bought the field at the back of our farm, he had put the cows in it - it's not secure so they wondered straight out ???? he's popping back later with his trailer (hopefully not putting them straight back in the field)  :-\

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 01:42:09 pm »
Glad the owner's been traced and is coming to take care of them!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 01:52:40 pm »
it wasn't ours, our 0006 hasn't been born yet  :roflanim:

Cowgirl

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 07:27:53 pm »
Glad the owner has been found - not far from us this!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS