Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Food waste bags  (Read 2289 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Food waste bags
« on: December 28, 2014, 07:47:24 am »
our local council has introduced doorstep recycling up our lane recently. We were given (among other things) a kitchen caddy and a bigger food waste caddy to keep the bagged food waste from the kitchen caddy in until collection day.

The blurb says that the bags are compostible - guaranteed to break down during the treatment process.

Now - I have never been a big fan of putting food waste onto the compost heap as it attracts rats (we have enough already!). But I am wondering if the bags break down in a compost heap as well as in an anaerobic digester......... because if that's the case then I would be keen to compost the food waste in the bags as it means that I can "save up" bags until there is a big pile to go on (e.g cleaning out the chickens) when I have got something substantial to bury the food waste bags under.

What are people,'s thoughts on this idea?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Food waste bags
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 09:32:34 am »
The pale green ones you get in the supermarket apparently do compost, but they look b@@@@y awful in the process  :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 09:35:50 am »
The pale green ones I had a while ago were based on corn starch and broke down well. Too well. When I stopped using them I found a pile turning to dust in the back of a kitchen drawer.  >:(

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 09:41:26 am »
Morning suziequeue,
we have the food bags and caddys.  The bags start to decompose fairly quickly once any wet/damp food is put in.  I change my food bags about twice a week depending on how much/little food waste we have.  Usually potato peelings and egg shells.  If the bag is looking a bit damp I usually double bag as OH hates using them, plus it is easier to get the bag from the kitchen to the bin outside without leaving a trail!!    The big food caddy bin is reasonably secure and it doesn't smell, we have ours inside another bin.  See above!!!

Anyway, yes the bags will break down in the compost heap but I think they will have started to break down before you are ready to use them.  You can always try it and see what happens. 

Hope this helps

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 10:20:29 am »
Thanks. I have done a bit of online research and I think I will start trying the bags on the compost heap.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 11:02:19 am »
Sometimes mine start to break down before I empty the wee bucket to the brown bin outside!  I think it is teabags or coffee grounds responsible so I try and shift them regularly even half full as the council leave enough for a family and I'm on my own.

Can't see a problem taking them for compost heaps but it depends what they break down to whether it helps or hinders the compost quality?
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 03:45:09 pm »
Even carrier bags break down. I was offered a load recently as I get through quite a few clearing the dog poo and we don't often get them. The person offering had been collecting them for a while and the ones at the bottom crumbled into nothingness. On the other hand, I tried lining our kitchen caddy with bags that were supposed to decompose in the compost heap. Months later, I ended up picking them out as I tried to use the rotted compost.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS