Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poo eating dog!  (Read 5902 times)

paulsou

• Joined May 2009
Poo eating dog!
« on: January 09, 2010, 06:57:27 pm »
Can anybody tell me why my dog insist on eating her poo?
She gets well fed & lots of attention, can anybody tell me how i can stop her?

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
Re: Poo eating dog!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 07:00:14 pm »
Booby trap it with curry powder!
Or be quick enough to poop scoop it before she eats!

Some pups do it but should grow out of it! My lab did it and I sprinkled curry powder on her poo, it didn't take her long to stop. I just need to stop her eating pig and sheep poo now!!

Good luck
lee

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 07:49:30 pm »
I used to have a self-cleaning dog! ;D  I'm not sure, but I think they do it to get any other nutrients that may have gone all the way through their systems.  Or maybe it has something to do with covering their tracks - I don't know.  Putting a few pineapple chunks in their food seems to stop them.  Good luck.

sandy

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 11:25:24 pm »
Ben, our Black Lab loves poo, we have to be careful around fields with sheep in them as he sees them as fields of goodies..the poo that is, not at all interesting in chasing sheep, far too energentic for our Ben....and I posted on here when we took him for a walk into the woods and I suddenly had to "GO" I walked off the beaton track and just had to go and who's head should appear between my legs???? well...it must have been a funny sight me trying to get him away...sooo repulsive but they love it!!!! Ben is not so bad now but still likes the odd bit Yum Yum :dog:

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 01:45:22 pm »
eeuugh we were walking in the woods and penny our samoyed started rollining in HUMAN poo .the smell was awful.you can see how fluffy she is [summer coat as well]  takes half an hour to get her wet through to skin whem bathing. the smell was horrendous.they could of at least hid it it was in a clearing.dirty people.

just remember pets reduce your stress level!!!

:cat:  :dog:  :horse:  :sheep:  :cow:   :chook:  :pig:  :llama:  :love:

imdead

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 07:12:03 pm »
Shout at the top of your voice how discusted you are with the dog, be very agresive with your words.

Get very angry with the dog and then slow down and gently tell the dog, you have let me down.

If it's not on the lead, put the lead on and just walk for a while don't stop don't speak.

After a few minits let the dog off again, if you see it going near poo shout and repeat.

Never hit the dog, just sound agresive, it will take time but has always worked for me.

It's all about you being the pack leader.

Good luck.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 09:22:44 am »
My 2 german shepherds dont eat they're own poo but wait for my greyhound to poo and eat that!! This reminds me of another thread where it was suggested to put pineapple in their food, when it comes out the other end they dont eat it! I really should try it!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 07:12:50 pm »
My 2 german shepherds dont eat they're own poo but wait for my greyhound to poo and eat that!! This reminds me of another thread where it was suggested to put pineapple in their food, when it comes out the other end they dont eat it! I really should try it!
It usually works. But if you think there may be something missing from their diet you could try minadex (a children's general tonic)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Jakebob

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 10:12:25 pm »
This is interesting, I just thought it was my dog!! My jrt eats her own poo and also the cats poo!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 01:35:18 pm »
Ooo Cat poo is like Caviar to dogs, but have you noticed that when they eat they pull faces like they've just eaten a lemon!!!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 01:00:35 pm »
My whippets are beggars for this always have been. I have tried pineapple in their feed, didn't work. Sprinkling the droppings with hot chile sauce and piri piri sauce worked for some but your best bet is to stand by with bucket, shovel and a loud voice. Oddly enough they don't eat other dog's poo when out in the fields but will eat rabbit, sheep, pig etc. I let them get on with it, keep them well wormed and don't let them kiss anyone, especially the children!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS