Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My proposed pig enclosure  (Read 3497 times)

Toots

• Joined Dec 2014
  • Flintshire, North Wales
My proposed pig enclosure
« on: December 27, 2014, 05:28:42 am »
Hi,

I have been planning my first pig enclosure for two weaners to start me off. I have about 1.5 acre of wooded area which I would like to work the pigs through to help clear the ground so will be utilising 3 wire electric fencing as I move them along. As they will be too small for the electric fencing when I first get them I thought I would create a pen from pallets to keep them in a smaller area and train them to the electric fence. Then when I'm happy, remove the pallets and just have the electric fence in a larger area.

My question is: Can I run the fence on one side of the pallet pen to train the pigs to it or should I run it all around the pallet pen?

I have attached a PDF of the plan I have drawn up with my thoughts

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: My proposed pig enclosure
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 07:44:45 am »
I would say it would be best to run the wire all the way round the temporary pen, but just along one or two sides should work for training. Make sure the fence has a good whack to it and give them at least a week to learn the rules. The important thing is that when they get a shock they can't go forward through the fence.

Toots

• Joined Dec 2014
  • Flintshire, North Wales
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 08:57:38 am »
I would say it would be best to run the wire all the way round the temporary pen, but just along one or two sides should work for training. Make sure the fence has a good whack to it and give them at least a week to learn the rules. The important thing is that when they get a shock they can't go forward through the fence.

Thanks for that, when you say "they can't go forward through the fence" how would I prevent that?

Cheers

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 09:15:57 am »

Thanks for that, when you say "they can't go forward through the fence" how would I prevent that?

Cheers

By putting some sort of solid barrier as close behind the electric as you can without earthing it out, so when they get that first shock and panic a bit, the only way to go is backwards and not forwards.  You could probably do this with your pallets, maybe by making the pallet enclosure slightly larger and putting the electric round the inside of it before releasing them into the larger space.  Your plans look super!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 09:18:51 am by mowhaugh »

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 09:22:47 am »
Sorry, was being dim, you've done it already on your plan, but might be more effective if you could put the electric all the way round the pen before releasing them - depends how visible your electric fencing is.  We just use plain wire, but if using that I would definitely try to put it all round the pen to train them.  Good luck!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 08:05:26 pm »
Just build the temporary pen out of pallets as you've suggested. Run a single electric wire around the inside, one wire is enough, at about snout height is ideal. You don't need multiple strands for the training as long as they get a good shock every time they approach the boundary they'll get the idea. I would keep them in the pallet pen for a week or so by which time they should be properly respectful of the electric fence. I've found with small pigs two strands works fine especially if you can adjust the height to suit the size of pigs. Make sure you check it every day to clear any sods they have chucked onto the wires with their rooting.

Waterside

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 11:37:45 am »
Pigs evolved to feed snout at ground level moving as their sense of smell directs them until an obstacle causes them to change direction.  So a low wire will catch a pig of any size!

Fence all the way around it is the cheapest and easiest way to contain them.  Even piglets can lift and move pallets!

Two wires are fine, for most breeds the lower wire at 6-8 inches the higher at no more than 16 to 20 inches.  The charge need not be high, pigs are more sensitive than cattle or horses so 0.5Joules to 1Joule is as much as you need. 

Using plastic posts you can track the ground to achieve the required height all around in woodland.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS