Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Slaughtering lambs after being with the tup  (Read 4334 times)

Sandyknox

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Dumfries, Scotland
Slaughtering lambs after being with the tup
« on: December 25, 2014, 07:42:51 pm »
I have 8 lambs , born June 2014 all 8 where ment to be going to slaughter but they managed to get in with the tup for about a week a couple of weeks ago , will they still be able to go to slaughter
S.Knox

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Slaughtering lambs after being with the tup
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 08:01:44 pm »
when are you sending them away?

Sandyknox

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Dumfries, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 08:45:50 pm »
They will be sent away first week in January
S.Knox

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 10:45:56 am »
Yes, no problem.
As late lambs most are probably not pregnant anyway, and of those that are, the foetus will be so small as to make no appreciable difference.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 02:49:58 pm »
Yes, no problem.
As late lambs most are probably not pregnant anyway, and of those that are, the foetus will be so small as to make no appreciable difference.

agree with this

but did wonder how they  ' managed to get in with the tup for about a week'  .... without you noticing??
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 06:42:19 pm »
I would also agree that it wont be a problem (or shouldn't be one thats is flagged up at the mart or the abbatoir).  - but to be as blunt as the previous op, how has it been in for a week? Even I can count to 8 ;) - and to be honest its easy to spot a ram thats looking for action.

The foetus will be tiny after such a relatively small amount of time if they have concieved. So its should not be a problem.

I take back my first comments - cos if you have animals of mixed sex - it will happen - its something that you need to keep an eye on and sort out as soon as possible. Especially with a pet flock.

Sandyknox

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Dumfries, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 07:15:57 pm »
I would also agree that it wont be a problem (or shouldn't be one thats is flagged up at the mart or the abbatoir).  - but to be as blunt as the previous op, how has it been in for a week? Even I can count to 8 ;) - and to be honest its easy to spot a ram thats looking for action.

The foetus will be tiny after such a relatively small amount of time if they have concieved. So its should not be a problem.

I take back my first comments - cos if you have animals of mixed sex - it will happen - its something that you need to keep an eye on and sort out as soon as possible. Especially with a pet flock.

It's not a case that I didn't notice my sheep arnt great at coming to a bucket and I tried for a week to get them back in the pen but in the end I couldn't get them separated so had to get the tup away , they where in a separate pen in the field
S.Knox

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 09:16:46 pm »
I wouldn't worry and get them away asap. Depending on breed they may not have been receptive to the baóy anyway...

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 10:12:26 pm »

It's not a case that I didn't notice my sheep arnt great at coming to a bucket and I tried for a week to get them back in the pen but in the end I couldn't get them separated so had to get the tup away , they where in a separate pen in the field

I am glad you agree that its something you did notice - but it was something you should have taken action on as soon as you did.

Nobody has a good time rounding stuff up and sorting out - but its something you have to do - otherwise acidents happen.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 10:14:57 pm by bazzais »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS