Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help- Fox attack 4 hens dead and one badly mauled  (Read 5984 times)

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
Help- Fox attack 4 hens dead and one badly mauled
« on: December 26, 2014, 06:23:47 pm »
Hi

Mr fox decided to pay my ex batts a visit this morn. The dogs were going crazy in the kitchen but didn't think anything of it, so I let them out and they were barking like crazy. I think they must have been telling me there was a fox outside. I have an automatic chicken door which is brill, but it was opening just as it was almost light. I thought that this was ok, but obviously not as the fox decided it was an easy meal. I have since changed the timer.

Anyway I found a hen whilst recovering and cleaning up the after mouth which was still alive and in shock. I picked her up and she seemed quite floppy, I thought that she would die pretty soon. I took her in the house as she had some puncture wounds to her back and chest obviously where the fox had picked her up from. I cleaned them up as best I could, then put her in a nesting box in the chicken shed. I have been checking on her every few hours. I thought I would go back and find that she had died, but I checked on her an hour ago and she although was quite floppy had her eyes open and was still alive.

I don't know if she will last the night, I really hoping that she will. Has anyone had to deal with this before, I am reluctant to do the deed as she seems to be ok in herself if not a little weak. Does anyone have any ideas what I can fed her or if I should put anything on her wounds or leave them open to air.

The other chickens don't seem to bother with her either.

Figures crossed she will still be with us in the morning.

Any ideas welcomed

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Help- Fox attack 4 hens dead and one badly mauled
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 06:41:13 pm »
personally id cull her. one of our turkeys was attacked and I hoped she'd pull through but she died a few days later. I should have culled her there and then. she was walking wounded and still eating.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 06:52:44 pm »
She is likely to have internal injuries so, unless she is now up and walking around, kinder to dispatch her :hug:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 07:04:06 pm »
Sorry to hear this. There's never a safe time from sly Mr fox   :-\

If she has made it to now then the injuries themselves aren't going to be as much of a problem as the infection brewing from the bite wounds. This will show itself in a day or two and cause suffering. She will also be in pain with the bites and bruising now.
For her welfare she either needs veterinary treatment of pain relief and antibiotics or culled. Leaving it to fate isn't an option imho.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 11:49:42 am »
So sorry you've had this happen.

We had similar when we were very new to chicken-keeping.  It was a local terrier, not the fox, but same devastation.  Two dead, two wounded like yours, and the only one that had started laying had thankfully been hidden away in the nest box and survived unscathed. 

We took the two wounded ones to the vet, who dispatched them, saying much what MS has just said about infected wounds and potential internal injuries. 

Lacey became very tame, and befriended the sheep for a flock to follow, while we improved security and sourced new pullets. 

Our new setup was dubbed Chicken Knox.  We still used the timer door, but if we weren't about, they were shut in behind 6' netting, dug into the ground for 12", with electric (checked every day) - two strands at nose level and one at the top.  When we were there, they free-ranged (and remained friendly with the sheep, led by Lacey!)

They were never any bother to lock up; Chicken Knox was large enough to still qualify as free range even if they'd been in there full-time, and they'd follow us anywhere if we had some bread ;)

Here at BH's farm, the chooks have complete freedom and generally roost in the hay stacks.  Cocky sleeps with an eye open and gives voice at any intruders.  The downside of this arrangement is that they hide their eggs, so we have to buy our eggs off friends whose birds are penned!   :D

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 12:08:11 pm »
I took my chook to the vets this morning,  expecting nothing could be done and she would have to be pts. Instead, he as given  her some very strong painkillers and antibiotics.  She has to go back tmoz morning again for another check up. Fingers crossed she will perk up. If not she will be pts tomorrow.  So gud and bad I suppose. 

Regards Emily

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 01:28:55 pm »
 :fc: hope she improves, the little fighter  :chook:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 02:09:21 pm »
One animal I do not like is the fox, I had terrible problems last year around lambing time, I then brought them up to the farm to lamb and not a single one got snatched by Mr fox. Maybe you should call the fox hunter, the problem with a fox is if it has the taste for chicken it will often pass it to its young and then you'll have a whole family of foxes queuing up outside the hen house for supper. When I say fox hunter I mean a person who kills them according to law. I haven't had fox problems for over 4 years now, there are not many around my way, I remember I had 2 ducks and I built a pond for them, they got attacked during the night and when I came the next morning to let them out, me not knowing what had happened to them, I found one dead and the other one was alive. Who said ducks were stupid? The other duck hid underneath the ramp in the pond away from the fox, she died a few months later though off a heart attack. ???
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 10:05:16 am »
I took my chook to the vets this morning,  expecting nothing could be done and she would have to be pts. Instead, he as given  her some very strong painkillers and antibiotics.  She has to go back tmoz morning again for another check up. Fingers crossed she will perk up. If not she will be pts tomorrow.  So gud and bad I suppose. 

Regards Emily

Keeping my fingers crossed for you and hen.  :fc: 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 11:10:27 am »
Well she still lives to fight another day. Took her for her check up and she has improved quite considerabley. She ate some waterey poridge this morning.  She has had another painkiller at the vets this morn. She does have supected neck muscle damage. But the vet said it wil improve over time. If she is not in pain and is eating ok im guna keep going with her.  I feel she deserves that.

Im keeping my fingers and toes firmly crossed.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 09:50:02 pm »
beware of the fox returning.
hope all is well x

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 07:17:44 am »
Great news  :thumbsup:

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 07:17:37 pm »
We had a mink problem a few years ago and several chickens where killed, one was badly infured with a big tear in the neck. she was given pain relief and antibiotics. we didn't think she would survive but she mad a full recovery except she did hold her head on a slightly off angle. she came back into lay a few weeks later and 4 years on she is still with us
 :fc: for yours
Graham

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 11:48:07 pm »
beware of the fox returning.
hope all is well x

Yep every Charlie will quote the terminator "I'll be back"

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 01:03:30 pm »
Well good news to report about my chook. She went for her final check up at the vets today. She was given another injection of antibiotics/pain relief.  The vet was very pleased with her progress, and said she could go back to join the others. So she has left the confines of her  dog crate and returned to her run. Although she is still seperated, as the other chooks started to bully her. Hopefully they can sort out the pecking order again pretty soon.  :-D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS