Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fencing for sheep  (Read 2168 times)

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
Fencing for sheep
« on: December 19, 2014, 07:25:11 pm »
Hi all.

I'm wanting to move my sheep into our other field but we have a boundry wall that has a lot of issues that I can't fix in time. The plan is to stock fence it next year when we can get the tractors in the field with out churning it up to much.
anyway. I've been looking at getting a 500m 3 reel electric fence setup. I read a few reviews and got mixed information. will my mules just walk through it or will it work.  I won't hold you to it but i'd like some feedback from people who have used this sort of system. Once the fencing is done I'd like to continue using the electric for strip grazing.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
Re: Fencing for sheep
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 06:33:23 pm »
Sounds like a great plan and here's a link I've been saving for when the time comes.

http://www.rappa.co.uk/advice-centre/23-wire-heights-post-spacings-for-electric-fencing

Let us know how you get on.

Never ever give up.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 07:12:39 pm »
 Use the 3 reel system for sheep and 2 reel for cattle ,prefer steel wire rather than plastic bigger kick , for sheep I run horse white tape as the top wire as a visual aid to the sheep .   Keep wires really tight and no earthing on crop and battery fully charged ( use leisure batterys as they can  loose charge and be recharged many times , mains better still )

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 07:57:53 pm »
having priced everything up and considering the chances or someone steeling my shiney new electric fence setup i've decided to get the 2 handled post knocker out and just put up a fence.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS