Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep prices  (Read 1960 times)

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
Sheep prices
« on: December 18, 2014, 10:23:44 pm »
Good evening all,

I've never been good at putting a price on my stock so was wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea of prices.

I've recently done a deal on some of my store lambs and the guy is coming to collect them tomorrow and he's agreed to take some of my poorer cades to make it worth the trip.
The deal has been done at just below last weeks store prices and to be honest I'm happy they have all gone as I could see me feeding two of them well into next autum!

He's very keen to buy some of my Suffolk x mule ewe lambs which have been running with a Charolais tup for the last month.
They are in good order (otherwise I wouldn't have considered showing them the tup this year), have been hepta vac P+'d but I have no idea what they are actually worth?

Obviously there is no garantee they are in lamb but all got raddled marked first time and two have been raddle marked again when I changed the color the second time.

Looking forward to reading your opinions, sorry no pics as its dark and wet and the sheep are 15miles away  :gloomy:
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Sheep prices
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 10:31:46 am »
Good fat lambs are fetching around £80 now, so your ewe lambs will need to be more than that.  It'd be more if you were a known producer of breeding females, but we always think we've done okay if we get 20-25% on top of fat price.  So around £100 maybe? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 03:54:34 pm »
Thanks for the reply Sally from up North,

I always seem to think I'm over charging someone when I set my price and always seem to settle for much less.
£100 is around what I was thinking so what I shall do is ask for offers of above £100 and if they think that's too steep then I shall just keep them as I originally intended and hopefully get some lambs from them too.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 04:29:14 pm »
Suffolk mule ewe lambs around here go for around £90 up to £100, one pen we saw reach £115

In lamb would add a little value, so probly agree with whats been said and will say £100

Makes me think about putting a NZ suffolk tup to my mules before I sell them all one day  :thinking:

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 05:10:23 pm »
I can't believe the demand at this time of year for ewe lambs, must be a last minute rush/extra winter growth of grass.

Or perhaps the increase in price of store lambs?

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 05:36:05 pm »
The prices are up at the moment of all lambs so I suppose that would affect it  :thinking:

The prices will probly rise a little more and then drop right up to March when all the hoggets start coming through, then they usually go up again until June

There are store lambs selling for £75 and in the next pen are fat lambs selling for £80  ::)  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS