Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: moldy hay  (Read 12265 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
moldy hay
« on: January 07, 2010, 01:02:11 pm »
what's the risk of feeding mold spores in hay to sheep?
We have some bales that got ever so slightly damp on one edge due to be stacked in a barn with a compacted soil floor. They look fine but when you break them up you can see a smokey type dust escaping which I think must be mold spores. Is this harmful?

rmorris

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Perthshire
Re: moldy hay
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 05:15:38 pm »
Hi,

I have been told that this mold, whilst not ideal, is NOT harmful to sheep.  It is however bad news for horses.  Any haylage that has had it's plastic wrapping ripped should be used within 3 days [apparently].

I would take further advice on this, as I am not 100 percent sure about this.

Richard.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 05:29:12 pm »
i would not use it.

chickenfeed

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 05:41:39 pm »
i would not use it myself ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 05:45:34 pm »
nor me
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 07:56:20 pm »
watch what your doing with it as well can cause lung problems.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 10:18:39 pm »
If the hay is dry brown or black and the smells musty and rank don't use it If its green/yellowy like dry grass and smells slightly musty it should be ok to feed. The sheep will tell you if its bad they won't eat it unless they are REALLY hungry
Ian

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 02:05:54 pm »
If the hay is dry brown or black and the smells musty and rank don't use it If its green/yellowy like dry grass and smells slightly musty it should be ok to feed. The sheep will tell you if its bad they won't eat it unless they are REALLY hungry

I agree.  I was tempted to tell you to smell it, but didn't want to be responsible for giving you "Farmer's Lung" or pneumonia!  Some of my hay is less than perfect, but the sheep don't eat what they don't like, providing they have plenty to choose from.

John

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 06:21:23 pm »
yes I had farmers lung when I was 20 , and it knocked me off my feet for months. I went from about 13-14 stone down to less than 8 1/2 ...it was evil ...I now have to avoid any type of dust like the plague. I got FL from grinding barley without a mask , in a confined shed . I was fresh from London and knew nothing , soon found out though ....If you do smell it , make sure you are outside and the wind is blowing any dust/spores away from you , you do not want FL !!! Take care ...

cheers

Russ

Canadian Sheepfarmer

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Manitoba, Canada.
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 03:10:42 pm »
I remember one time when I lived in the UK soaking dusty bales in the water trough for about an hour before feeding them when I didn't have any better hay.
The cattle certainly liked them better and you didn't get the dust spores blowing around for them, and me, to inhale.
Old hay is warmer than straw for bedding, good for sick animals.

cooper956

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 02:12:20 pm »
any bales like that get stuck in hayracks and sheep dont eat them so i just leave slabs of the bad bales on the ground sheep eat what thay want and leave the bad stuff to be harrowed back into the feild although theres often not much left. sheep and cows should be ok but as said not horses. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS