Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do you move a single large bale of haylage?  (Read 8460 times)

rmorris

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Perthshire
How do you move a single large bale of haylage?
« on: January 06, 2010, 08:13:23 pm »
Hi all,

Looking for advice on the following....

With the current snow, I am having to feed my sheep 1 large bale of haylage a day.  I bought the bales from a local [real] farmer, and he kindly delivery 20 of them.  Now being a new starter in farming, I do not have a tractor, so my question is this:

How do I transport a single large bale of haylage from our store to the ring feeders in the field?  I have a quad bike and trailer, and my current solution involves cutting open a bale, and decanting it by hand into the trailer.  [The trailer is only small and takes about a 1/4 of a bale].

I have seen Logic do a neat gadget http://www.logictoday.co.uk/equestrian_lbt100.php but it seems a bit expensive.

I found a clever trailer on a US site http://ccmachinery.com/public_html/images/Bulldog%20Bug%20007c.jpg - see how it works here :- http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/ag-tractors-machinery/89804-doodlebug-hay-trailer.html  - You will need to scroll down to see a few pictures of it in action.

and

http://www.balebuster.com/ although this is similar to the Logic design [ but will puncture the haylage bags].

Other than the Logic solution, I cannot find / think of another sensible way of moving a single large bale of haylage.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Richard.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: How do you move a single large bale of haylage?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 09:57:17 pm »
can you not ask the farmer to come and put in the field?  or even nearby so you can roll them into the field?  if you are using a ale a day, does it need to go in the ring feeder at all?  or can you put it on some kind of skis attached to the quad?  just a few thoughts....

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 09:54:28 am »
Hello Richard.Question Why are you worried about puncturing the bale. If you are going to use it today?.So you are not,you want to keep it.So cover the hole with Gaffa Tape.You can buy tape for the job at a good big agricultural merchants but it is no better than G.T..I think you are going to struggle with your present way.Ask the supply farmer to put them in the field where you want to use them and put a bit of electric fence around the  bales When you want one turn the fence off lay the wire down and roll one out Open it out of its plastic and roll it out to let the stock feed if you have stock in a different field put some in the trailer and take it to them Don't forget to re erect the electric fence.The stuff in the sealed plastic bag is much better stuff than you have just rolled out.Or the beast seem to think so the way they rip the bags open.Would it pay to part exchange the Quad for a used tractor and muck filler and take the bucket off and fit the spike .Then after winter the bucket can be refitted and used for all sorts of jobs.Just me thinking
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

rmorris

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Perthshire
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 05:56:12 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions egglady and wizard.

Unfortunately we have quite a hilly field, and in the current conditions, the farmer is not keen to get his tractor stuck in our fields. I like the idea of the skis but was wondering if there was already a product / solution on the market that people are using.

Wizard, your point about opening / ripping the bags is a good one.  I don't suppose it does really matter as they are eaten so quickly.

Thanks for the advice,

Richard.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 07:04:56 pm »
What sort of Vehicle do you have? 
We have adapted an old table top into a sled thet is pulled by a large 4x4 with a bale of hay out to the donkeys daily. Depending on the depth of snow this may or may not work for you,we are fortunate we have no massive hills to manuver around.

rmorris

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Perthshire
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 05:02:53 pm »
Excellent idea Cameron. 

What do you do when there is no snow? Same?

I am now going to look out for a suitable old table in the barn.  Failing that, the wife and kids will be surprised when they come down to kitchen in the morning.....

Richard.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 03:55:14 pm »
We use it in about every weather condition apart from rain as it can sometimes dig in and muck up the field, and it could go mouldy if it gets to wet

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 09:00:25 pm »
Have you successded in your quest?

rmorris

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Perthshire
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 06:49:17 pm »
Hi,

I have not tackled this particular problem as yet - too busy!  I think towing an upside down table would work, given a powerful enough 4wd, but I don't think my quad bike is up to it.

I have been given a very old mini trailer (approx. 3ftx4ft) and whilst I initially thought I could use it to move a bail, I was wrong.  It would need considerable adaptation (and the use of some welding - which  I am not up to), so am thinking of turning it into a 'snacker'. 

Thanks for your suggestions though Cameron - much appreciated.

Richard.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS