Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The opposite of sheep theft!  (Read 4504 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
The opposite of sheep theft!
« on: December 17, 2014, 04:34:29 pm »
I have a problem... In that a rogue neighbour (I think) keeps putting loose sheep on my field. The first couple of times I though I must have imagined it as they were gone before I could deal with them. Then I thought I must have a hole in my fence.... Nope.   Last week I got up to find the gate between my neighbours field (which said rogue neighbour used to co own) and mine open.... Some of Neighbours ewes in my field, and my mongrel ram lambs off with the rest of his flock..... :innocent:  (Luckily neighbour very understanding and said they should all be in lamb by now...)

Then today, gate perfectly closed, but 3 strange ewes in ( of course no ear tags) and rogue neighbour had been spotted heard ing 3 sheep along road in his pickup with his dog.  I have padlocked the gate and await an explanation..... But so annoyed, I am trying to keep a closed flock and it is outrageously cheeky.  I sort of can't understand, (but on the other hand it is in character, since we've been here he's been done for putting a dead sheep in someone's wheely bin, and has also put a pig in someone's shed and called the police to report them!)  and would love to know what the law would suggest I do.  Of course I will padlock from now on...

Grr

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: The opposite of sheep theft!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 04:39:02 pm »
I'm at a loss Fi but hope you get it sorted.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 04:42:03 pm »
Stick a prominent sign on gate:

Grazing fee £15/day or part thereof per sheep - and then bill him.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 04:50:09 pm »
Ha! I'm half expecting a visit from the police accusing ME of sheep rustling :-J .   It's kind of funny the things he get up to.... Until you are in the mix! 

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 04:53:04 pm »
Stick a prominent sign on gate:

"All unattended sheep will be eaten"

There - fixed that for you  ;)

Also, without any ear tags, wouldn't he have a job proving that they were his sheep that you'd rustled?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 05:09:25 pm »
Oh I am extreeeemly fond of that idea! They are probably scraggy old mutton, but I may gather in and have a feel!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 05:11:08 pm »
its more likely dump the ear tag missing sheep then report to the powers that be... quite why well thats another question... sounds seriously mental...

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 05:13:18 pm »
I would get them in a trailer and taken somewhere. Let him ask you where his sheep are. Or never give them back.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 06:52:15 pm »
Yeah, but the biosecurity issues don't look that nice whatever you decide to do. No idea what I would do, as you probably don't fancy eating them not knowing what they may carry... (and they may well be in lamb!)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 07:15:16 pm »
Sabrina - you are a genius!!  :)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

babysham

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Lancashire/Yorkshire Border
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 09:43:56 am »
Mark them up with your mark and put red tags in. Keep details of what you have done and dates when he "abandoned them" We had this and even sent some for slaughter with our red tags in. Have it all written down and when he tipped up six months later had a bill ready for him so he did one quick. I have let it be known locally if I see him near our farm I will call the police.

cooksey

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 11:11:46 pm »
I have a problem... In that a rogue neighbour (I think) keeps putting loose sheep on my field. The first couple of times I though I must have imagined it as they were gone before I could deal with them. Then I thought I must have a hole in my fence.... Nope.   Last week I got up to find the gate between my neighbours field (which said rogue neighbour used to co own) and mine open.... Some of Neighbours ewes in my field, and my mongrel ram lambs off with the rest of his flock..... :innocent:  (Luckily neighbour very understanding and said they should all be in lamb by now...)

Then today, gate perfectly closed, but 3 strange ewes in ( of course no ear tags) and rogue neighbour had been spotted heard ing 3 sheep along road in his pickup with his dog.  I have padlocked the gate and await an explanation..... But so annoyed, I am trying to keep a closed flock and it is outrageously cheeky.  I sort of can't understand, (but on the other hand it is in character, since we've been here he's been done for putting a dead sheep in someone's wheely bin, and has also put a pig in someone's shed and called the police to report them!)  and would love to know what the law would suggest I do.  Of course I will padlock from now on...

Grr
thanks for the warning wondered why gate higher up the road look like they have been paddlocked message me what truck he has please

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 08:45:52 am »
Cooksey.. Mystery solved- despite having spent £5k fencing our perimeter when we first moved.... There is a 5m stretch of stone wall which was deemed high enough and good enough to be ok. Well it seems that they can climb over it from the road, but not get back out.  Shows the importance of not jumping to conclusions ... Sorry local rogue who I had fitted to the imagined crime in my head!  However ther is still an issue with mountain sheep wandering free.... I don't know if sheep keepers have an obligation to keep their sheep contained? Or is it just up to us to keep them out?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS