Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ATV/Quad  (Read 6097 times)

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
ATV/Quad
« on: December 13, 2014, 01:27:08 pm »
Can anyone recommend a decent quad or ATV.  I have 16 acres but there are a few steep slopes so it needs to be up to the job. Any decent dealer recommendations in the Highlands would be useful too.....

Thanks

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: ATV/Quad
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 07:29:05 pm »

Are you looking for new or used?

don't really have much expertise here as I've only ever owned one quad and I only got that about 4 months ago; but my opinion is to stick with a reputable make (e.g Honda, yamaha, suzuki) for parts availability and reliability - particularly if going for 2nd hand (like me)- the downside being they command higher prices.

with steep hills you may want to stick with 4x4 although the price is higher.

I ended up with a honda big red 4x4 (as I have steep hills too).

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 10:32:43 pm »
I bought a kazuma jaguar .. took a punt on cheapo chinese honda copy because the price was so good new.. and at that time came fully loaded with road kit winch etc and 6 mths real road tax and has an automatic clutch so no pulling up on pedals to change gear (hurts my old feet).

It's taken some stick in my hands this last 3 years but does have it's issues.. the gears can be sticky to change (reverse, low, high) and sometimes takes a few goes. One of the fuel tanks sprung a leak out of warranty (and got bypassed) and some of the electrics..like fuel guage and temp guage have failed but the 4 wheel drive got me up the 35 deg long boggy slope twice today to rescue my weakling ewe from brambles and it's got fair guts through bad terrain.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 11:29:57 pm »
A UTV like a Kawasaki Mule or John Deere Gator might be more useful to you?
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 08:16:24 am »
Thanks for these posts, I do fancy a John Deere gator but they are pricey as I'm looking to buy something new. Maybe end up with a quad with towing capability.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 08:59:10 am »
If I could afford one I would have a Can am http://uk.brp.com/off-road/ however I am reasonably happy with my kowasaki.  Two wheel drives are easier handling unless you really need 4x4.  Here if four wheel drive is needed I know it is really too wet to be out with any wheeled vehicle.

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 09:22:24 am »
We have a Kubota RTV at work and it's a very strong machine, build quality is good and the engines are known for being trustworthy. It's got a large payload capacity and pulls small trailers off road fairly well.
On steep ground it's best to stick to straight up and down as rtv's do feel a little top heavy compared to quads. It would be my choice of machines, maybe with a set of doors as when it's blowing with rain it feels like you get wetter than being stood outside!

There's also a couple of quads, Honda of course! They are powerfully for the size but a little uncomfortable with a passenger, tools, feed and the dog loaded on.

We've had a a couple of John Deere gators and we didn't rate them really, they were expensive to buy initially expensive when they went wrong and didn't want to take much in the way of a load especially on hills.

The best advice when buying a machine is to really look at what you need and buy the best you can afford and make sure you factor in servicing, look after your machine and it will look after you.
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 02:14:33 pm »
Thanks again all.

Deere-  thanks for the comments on the Gator, that's good to know especially given the high cost

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 07:34:29 pm »
HONDA, HONDA, HONDA, OR HONDA….thats what i was told by all the farmers when i was looking

the gator is a great piece of kit too

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 08:22:39 pm »
I like the look of the JCB ATV's. Trying to work out how to afford one at the moment.

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 08:37:33 pm »
You do pay a premium for the big names although whether or not you get what you pay for is another matter.

We ended up with a Polaris 2nd hand petrol model and have had no problems with it all - it doesnt get used every day but every time we need it, it starts and performs well.

So much so, when our teenage daughter wanted her own quad to help out, we had no hesitation in getting another polaris although a diesel this time.

They seem good value for money as well 2nd hand.

Happy to help
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 02:52:07 pm »
If only I could find another suzuki quadrunner - she is the mutts nuts.  (well she is a dog, and she is still rolling.)

I feel like singing Deep Purple every time I ride her.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS