Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Records of sheep feed?  (Read 8689 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Records of sheep feed?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 05:38:09 pm »
We are not in any schemes and still had our feedstuffs inspection.  I truly think it's best to simply keep the records then you don't have to worry.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 08:40:26 pm »
we had a no-prior-notice inspection once, they took large samples of all the feeds, then we got a certified/approved letter through the post.
remember to keep different species feeds a metre apart - or definitely keep the pigs/hens away from the ruminants feed.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 10:06:38 pm »
Can I ask why they need to inspect what you feed your sheep? I feed mine sugarbeet pellets and feed blocks plus hay in winter I feed my lambs growers, when they're small, then sugarbeet when they're older. I have a grass based system in summer and only feed them come winter through to spring. The lambs get growers throughout the year to help em grow faster.  I've never heard of them inspecting feed unless you feed animals heavily, constantly and in a commercial system.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 10:28:09 pm »
im not sure,
we were new in the area and had small numbers of sheep, poultry and pigs. they were rather concerned with the fishmeal that could be in some feeds being fed to the wrong species. it was 10 yrs ago now. we only bought feed from harbros, didn't mix feeds, and didn't even buy fishmeal.  :thinking:

better to keep batch numbers, doesn't take long.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 09:36:49 am »
If I were to keep all copies of my feed records - I would need to build an extension just for that... ::)

Also - no feed labels on straights... only a stamp on the bag with BBE date.... I am not cutting that out, as all my paper bags are used for fleeces, stuff in general, like lining beds in the veg garden.

Anyway if you don't get subsidies - what can they do, no money to stop...

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 09:47:43 am »

I found this document from my local trading standards (never seen it before today mind!):
http://www.valeofglamorgan.gov.uk/Documents/Working/Business%20Support/Trading%20Standards/Food%20and%20feed%20hygeine%20gudie%20for%20livestock%20farmers.pdf

Under records it does say: "the nature and origin of the feed fed to livestock"
When I was inspected a few years ago I don't think they asked for records, they only asked if I only fed bagged feeds from the agri merchant, and checked how it was stored.

For those with small numbers of animals I think if you just keep a record of your puchases, i.e. 10 bags of XYZ Sheep feed from Agri merchants ABC, dated, that will probably be sufficient.  Recording batch numbers seems a bit over the top.

It looks like its an EU regulation now rather than a hoop that you have to jump through in order to get subsidies. :(

There are other docs here with more details: http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/farmingfood/animalfeed/animalfeedlegislation/guidfarm &
http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/farmingfood/primprodqanda

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 07:03:23 pm »
I have been inspected never questioned about feed, but after some of the comments on here I phoned up the SERAD office at Thainstone and was asked what feed I used, I buy from Harbro I was told about keeping receipts but all my invoices go to the accountant. There did not seem to be any problem.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 09:50:00 pm »
I have been inspected never questioned about feed, but after some of the comments on here I phoned up the SERAD office at Thainstone and was asked what feed I used, I buy from Harbro I was told about keeping receipts but all my invoices go to the accountant. There did not seem to be any problem.

I keep a photocopy of invoices in a separate folder, then you can send the original off to your accountant, but still have the info.  I just copy them on my cheapo printer.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 09:56:35 am »
I once had a feed inspection, was a little amusing....

They wanted to see that I was storing the pig feed with the correct label (which I had done) but away seperatly from my "sheep feed"

I explained I did not have any sheep feed apart from lifeline buckets which I bought in the spring so didn't have any of these at the moment, she wasnt sure wether she should belive me......she wanted feed samples however so I offered her some of the hens mixed corn, which she settled for as she was meant to bring back a few samples as I had pigs and sheep...... 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS