Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making sausage meat.....  (Read 2534 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Making sausage meat.....
« on: December 11, 2014, 12:54:15 pm »
Well, 7 large black pigs back from the butcher (yes 7, long story...). And not a tube of sausage meat in the batch.... Not impressed. He's 'sausaged' it all. Having paid for casings and labour, I'm not about to squeeze the contents out for my Christmas stuffing and sausage rolls.... And I'm NOT going to buy any with 5 pigs in the freezer.... So any recipes please, inc which cuts are best. I have a Kenwood chef and mincer (which has never been out of the box, so time to put that right!).  I like smooth and quite plain sausage meat...  Many thanks in advance :-)

HappyHippy

Re: Making sausage meat.....
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 01:53:04 pm »
Normally shoulder is used for sausages, if you're doing it with a Kenwood have the cubed meat almost frozen before you start (it'll mince easier and the texture will be better)
You want 80% meat to 20% fat roughly (might need to add some belly pork if you're short) and approximately 10% of the weight in rusk and the same (approx) ice cold water.
Mince your meat and fat into a bowl sitting on ice, mix the rusk, flavourings and the ice water to bind it all (you might not need it all) and chill again - don't let it get warm or the texture will be peculiar  ;)

For flavourings, the choice is yours! I use about 10g of salt and 5g of pepper for each kilo of meat then add whatever you want - minced onion, sage, apple......it's an endless list  ;)
HTH
Karen

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 01:59:28 pm »
Brill thanks! Do I need to buy rusk (what is it? ) or could I use something I have (breadcrumbs?)

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 03:03:37 pm »
It is also a good idea to make a small patty and fry it to check the seasoning is how you would like it so you can  adjust the flavour.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 10:10:22 pm »
Breadcrumbs work  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS