Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moult  (Read 4084 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Moult
« on: December 09, 2014, 08:32:19 pm »
just wondered how long moulting lasted and when hens would start laying again? I'm beginning to take it personally that I have said something to offend the hens! Most haven't laid since Sept/Oct and the new recycled ones were laying well when they arrived and within a week dropped from 10 eggs to 4 or less.

I can feel a curry coming on if they don't change their ways !

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Moult
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 08:53:54 pm »
depends what they are etc. My Marsh Daisies do not lay again after their moult so nothing between end of sept to jan/feb. Some of the Scots Greys will lay for a while after their moult, the Minorcas all come into lay after their moult and are still laying.

Last year I got nothing off anyone (no Minorcas then) between october and dec until the pullets came into lay around christmas. if you want them to lay more, run lights in the house?

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 09:04:28 pm »
I have a mix of Marans and legbars now plus the red ex battery types. The marans are a pain as they keep going broody anyway. My housing doesn't really allow for lighting so I will just have to be patient. I think the goats might be eating some (or the rats) as I have seen hens sitting In The goat house but never find an egg

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 09:57:53 am »
The age of the hens will also influence how quickly they come back into lay.  This is why we sell all but the most exceptional brids before they're 18 months old.  Our birds hatched in May are just coming into lay.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 07:34:19 pm »
My hens have been very prolific at laying eggs, however they stopped last month after moulting and they're currently coming up to 3 years old. I suppose it depends on the breed of hen and light.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 05:32:02 pm »
well, I fibbed, one of my MDs came back into lay today (she'll be 3 in the NY). I currently have 4/7 of my older birds in lay (one older hybrid isn't really, one Scots Grey isn't but she's a terrible layer and the Marsh Daisy who raised a brood and then moulted also not laying all the same hatch year except the hybrid, who's already three and hasn't been in lay much since her first moult) and 3/5 of this years pullets (1 of the MDs and the 2 Scots Greys June hatch) are in lay. I've never had so many eggs this time of year so not sure whats going on! Thought the cold snap may have halted production but not yet..

lindaball1961@gmail.com

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 06:54:00 pm »
I'm still getting 2-3 eggs a day from my 3 layers (2 marans and 3 RIR's). These are in their first year of lay and haven't moulted yet. I'm hoping my pullets will start laying soon but I expect to be without eggs for a few months before they gear up in the spring!

lindaball1961@gmail.com

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 06:56:35 pm »
Sorry- that should read 5 layers!!!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 07:54:26 pm »
All depends whether they are hybrids RIR's and Marans or the genuine Pedigree item Lindaball. Seems there are breeders now copying the names so you don't actually know what you are buying- bring on the trade description protection please!!!

Moulting varies greatly and so do the effects. We have TNN's moulting and still laying and we have birds on second moult this year and not. Some can moult for a few weeks and some for a few months and our pet cock started in March and has not stopped yet. Age is a big influence, so young birds can carry the burden of moulting, short days and still be laying.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 11:10:54 pm »
Lack of daylight also plays a big part in the egg break. I have 4 early moulties (late October) which have started laying but at a slower rate (every 2 or 3 days I get a couple of eggs) a couple of weeks ago now.. Give them a chance, they need to have the break. You can blast them with electric light in their house but apparently this causes them to die younger. Correct me if this is just a rumour.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 11:22:12 pm »
Lack of daylight also plays a big part in the egg break. I have 4 early moulties (late October) which have started laying but at a slower rate (every 2 or 3 days I get a couple of eggs) a couple of weeks ago now.. Give them a chance, they need to have the break. You can blast them with electric light in their house but apparently this causes them to die younger. Correct me if this is just a rumour.
I had no idea! Thankfully I believe in natural light for chickens and not artificial.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS