Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Potted Christmas Trees  (Read 2565 times)

Sandyknox

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Dumfries, Scotland
Potted Christmas Trees
« on: December 08, 2014, 08:30:57 pm »
Last year i wanted a challenge so decided to plant 100 potted christmas trees (fraser fir) i am winging this as i have never really planted trees before , im just wondering what fertiliser anyone uses  to help the growth of the trees ,

thankyou sandy knox
S.Knox

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: Potted Christmas Trees
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 10:18:03 pm »
I'd also be interested as B&Q are sellig alot of their spruce at £5 a go now after chrimbo - I imagine they dont need alot as they grow in he shittest of places.

Are you growing for wood or copice for next years chrimbo?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 10:29:14 pm »
The supermarket potted trees are harvested by machine I was told, so their roots are often pretty damaged.  They last till christmas then die fairly quickly.  That said, we did plant one out once and it took, but never grew very big.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 09:36:41 am »
York Christmas Trees will tell you the type of fertiliser. If you bought them ready to plant they will be fine and you can plant potted into ground but not vice versa due to root damage. I think if you google tree fertiliser you should find some.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 02:15:02 pm »
Depending on the type of tree they are fairly slow growing.
I've tried looking through some fert advice sheets that I have but I don't have anything for trees.
I would have thought that a general purpose fert would do.
Something that's not too high in N.  Plenty P will help root growth and development.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS