Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lime  (Read 2988 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Lime
« on: December 05, 2014, 06:20:59 pm »
Does anyone use lime in gateways and around hay feeders, for sheep's feet?  If so, what type do you use (the same as is normally spread on the land?) and how much?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
Re: Lime
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 10:35:43 pm »
I'm interested in this question too.
I have a few muddy areas sanitising would help I think. I understand it would be hydrated lime to use for this purpose? (generally drying out and disinfecting if I got that right)
Are there any dangers associated with ingesting it once on the ground? No way I could keep my free range chickens away from any treated area, and cats would walk over it too (and then licking their paws)
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 10:38:59 pm »
I've used hydrated lime in lambing pens (after mucking out, under new straw) and found it very good.  It was always too wet to use it outside, so I can't help on that, sorry.  I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it if you try it, though!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 01:44:41 pm »
I don't think it would work outside ??? but I use it in the barn doorway and in lambing pens to disinfect before and after lambing.  Not sure what type , I buy small 25kg bags from MVF

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 01:51:53 pm »
Does anyone use lime in gateways and around hay feeders, for sheep's feet?  If so, what type do you use (the same as is normally spread on the land?) and how much?

Hydrated lime, calcium hydroxide.  Mine's usually from Lhoist who are very local.

Not outside, it will just wash away.  Just in doorways and in sheds.  A light dusting, a little more in the doorway.  A sprinking into water troughs stops them going green too.

Never had any problems with it.

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 06:24:28 pm »
Yes if needed. Outside yes. Hydrated lime from builders merchants.  Only washes away if it rains.
Sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS