Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep courtship  (Read 1454 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
sheep courtship
« on: December 06, 2014, 12:13:19 pm »
okay im a beginner but i just want to check a few things...

although we have been tallying yellow bottoms for a week today was the first time i was there to see rocky courting a companion :-)

is it normal for him to chase a ewe all over the field pushing her around till eventually stands for him?

most of the animals i have worked with in the past its usually obvious if the boys working i yake it that doesn't happen in sheep (or we have a real problem)

once she stood is it usual for him to serve her multiple times in a short space of time? (6 times in about 20 mins) or is he just being an enthusiastic teenager?

sorry if this is real basic stuff but just want to check everything is going to plan!!!

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
Re: sheep courtship
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 01:56:36 pm »
It varies, but I wouldn't worry.  Some rams  are more nocturnal in their activities too.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: sheep courtship
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 03:55:12 pm »
Courtship varies (as does the enthusiasm of the ewes) - if the ram is fertile and the ewes healthy everything generally works out in the end, although a ram lamb in with first-timers may not get the hang of things right away and the hoggetts cycling when he goes in may go round again and be tupped a couple of weeks later.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS