Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: so does this mean it's winter now?  (Read 4671 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
so does this mean it's winter now?
« on: December 05, 2014, 04:14:18 pm »
Getting a bale of hay off the stack in the field for the horses and the ewes all walk over and stare at me... so I gave the horses a section each and mind you there is a fair covering of grass across the farm I thought I'd offer the sheep some.

They practically ripped my hand off for it! Had sheep running at me in every direction! I've told them that this was a treat and not a routine just yet as that means it's winter.

And I just fooling myself?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: so does this mean it's winter now?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 04:29:35 pm »
I've only got 6 sheep and they are the same. I can't bear to look at them when I walk out of the house as they all stare in my direction, willing the hay to come to them.
Of course I give in  :)
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 04:36:53 pm »
We've been feeding hay since the tups went in on Nov 5th.  The sheep are all divided up into small paddocks so the grass gets a bit trampled.  Good nutrition at tupping time is good, but the sheep only take what they need.

Of course I'm further north than you are.  We had snow today  :cold:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 04:40:38 pm »
I've been feeding mine since Monday - couple of hay nets between 25 in the morning. They're not desperate for it and it's not all gone by next morning.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 04:52:30 pm »
I save my hay until either the weather turns bad or they're in the shed ready to lamb - never know how much you'll need if we get a really bad winter.  Sleet shower here today.

Graemscifi

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 05:49:51 pm »
I hate to tell you, but the answer is yes, its winter.

My sheepies have been pilling through hay for a couple of weeks now, they start getting when the tupps go in. That day, 18th Nov, is when i think of winter starting, the last 6 years it was snowing when the boys went in so its a decent measure(this year it was shirt slieve weather a balmy 12C). I think of the hay rings as more than feeding for the now in early winter,  it gives the girls something to stand around and do while big boys rush round and sniff meaningfully at thier hindquarters, it also gets them in the habit of eating hay so if/when we get a bad spell then they are already eating more than the grass.

You realise now they have got a taste for the good stuff your in trouble, they are going to demand it, and trip and eat you if they dont get it.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 06:44:21 pm »
I can afford to feed hay if needed. We made hay this year and sold a lot to cover costs and made a 4 grand out if it but ive kept more than enough :)

They can demand It as much as they like :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 10:46:18 pm »
Generally, sheep won't eat hay unless they need it, so if you have plenty and they're asking, well why not?

Normally we don't hay until after Christmas, but that's dependant on weather.  Some years it's earlier and sometimes later.  We had a hard frost earlier this week - had to break ice in the water troughs.  If it does that 3 days running, we'll need to start giving them hay.

I've some of my 'funny little sheep' in the home paddock (because I like to have them handy to talk to and look at alright?  :huff: ;)) and there's not enough grass there, so they're getting hay and a little cake.  14 hoggs, most at least 1/4 Shetland but including 2 purebred Wensleydale ewe hoggs and 2 Shetland x BFL hoggs, are eating just over 1/2 bale a day, plus a little cake.  I will move them to join the other ewe hoggs once we start haying them as well.  Well, maybe I'll keep Pickle and the Wenseys at home ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 11:26:02 am »
I gave in this morning.

They are having the rest of the horses bale so not a lot but something to munch :)

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 02:02:47 pm »
I offer it from November, it varies if they take it or not depending on stocking level, weather etc. 

Most people with sheep out around here don't seem to have any hay on offer, even with short grass in some case.  That seems odd to me, as it's encouraging them to eat the bottom of the grass where worms will be and ingest soil.

I do tend to put out the worst stuff worst, such as any carried over from the previous year.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 09:41:18 am »
I have had hay on offer for the last two weeks.  They are strip grazing hay aftermath but due to lamb the first week in January.  The hayrack is in a hurdle pen which means I can shut them in after filling the rack and get them used to being confined for short periods without stressing them.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 10:06:09 am »
we are at low level and still have rough grazing available so not feeding yet...

but i did get snowed on doing stock check this morning, admittedly it was bout 47 flakes total but it was definitely snow!!!

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 10:34:06 am »
My babies get their feed if its a rotten day and their hay feeders too, they let me know when they are hungry  :sheep:
They get carrots too for a treat, my pet boy loves his polos  :innocent: Oh here comes the snow as l type !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS