Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkey stag with bumble foot- Update  (Read 4376 times)

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
Turkey stag with bumble foot- Update
« on: December 03, 2014, 08:41:31 pm »
Hi

I have a Norfolk bronze turkey stag who is approx 18 months old. I was given him by a friend as I had a lonely turkey hen. He is a pet and I have no intention of eating him. He is a very friendly bird. Since I was given him he has had a bad limp. Originally I thought that he had been chased around and hurt himself buy his previous owner, or at least that was what I was told. Looking at him closely I realised that his right foot is very swollen and seems to have what looks like an abscess. I took him to the vet (you may think I'm mad), and was told it was bumble foot.  He was given a course of antibiotics which haven't seemed to make a difference.

Does anyone have any recommendations for treating this? Would/ could it be lanced or something. It doesn't seem to painful and he hobbles around ok. Can it actually be treated, or will he just have to live with it?

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading

Emily
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 11:04:40 pm by minibn »

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Turkey stag with bumble foot
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 06:19:18 am »
Nothing wrong in taking a pet turkey to the vet Minbn, we take our pet cockerel and any other chickens we don't want to simply despatch just to save time and money. It may not be bumble foot, perhaps it could be a bad sprain and the abscess is co-incidental. You could try applying arnica gel on his foot over a period of a week.

We treat bumble foot in chickens by thoroughly washing the foot, very carefully removing the scab on the pad with a scalpel and squeezing out the yellow puss. We then pack the wound with tea tree cream and bandage it up with lint and micropore tape. It's very difficult because if you nick a vein and they start bleeding you can't see to get all the puss out. it can take half an hour, so your pet needs to be very relaxed about it. the wound usually heals over by the time the micropore tape falls apart, but worth checking obviously.

The 'puss' with chickens sets in a solid lump, so giving them antibiotics won't see the lump reduce immediately and perhaps Turkeys are the same? Poor chap -hope he's OK.

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 12:48:46 pm »
Hi,

Thank you for the reply.  I will  try soaking his foot first and see. I did think of putting on a hot poltice to see if it draws anything out. Hopefully I can get it sorted.

Regards

Emily

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 01:44:33 pm »
I don't think leaving bumblefoot untreated is an option - it must be like walking around with a stone in your shoe!  He may have been on concrete or stony ground or damaged his foot landing from a high perch.  Turkeys, like any other prey bird or animal, don't show they feel pain until they're at death's door and unable to hide it any longer.  The limp shows it hurts.

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: Turkey stag with bumble foot-Update
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 11:03:27 pm »
Good evening,

An update on Marmite my Turkey stag with suspected bumblefoot.,

After having a closer inspection of his foot, it seems that it is a large callous like build up on the sole of his foot. There was no obvious scab as such which I have read to be an indication of bumblefoot. He does seem to be pretty sore still, as he is limping. I have read on another forum that due to a turkey's size and weight a build up of fluid and callous can develop on their feet.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to the treatment for a large callous lump. Can it be removed or does anyone know of any medication that can help him. Could it be filed down like you would do with your own foot?.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks for reading

Emily
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 11:30:55 pm by minibn »

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Turkey stag with bumble foot- Update
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 06:47:03 am »
Marmite has been suffering with this for over three weeks now Minibn and I think he should be getting vet treatment on an urgent basis now.

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: Turkey stag with bumble foot- Update
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 09:00:15 am »
I have decided to get him checked out this morning. 

Regards Emily

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS