Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Free Pasture  (Read 2858 times)

Rusal

• Joined Sep 2014
Free Pasture
« on: December 03, 2014, 03:51:58 pm »
I have been offered access to about an acre of rough pasture for my sheep. The land has been unused for about ten years and is overgrown with, mainly, tall grass and some weeds. The grass tussocks make it impossible to mow and the land is quite wet. I think the grass is too tall to put the sheep on, four badger faced welsh. Is it best to strim it down and put them on? The grass does seem healthy just overgrown. Or does the land need some management over the winter and put them on it in the spring.
As said the access is free, although any work needed to reclaim it is down to me. The land is adjacent to mine, near Pencader, so the sheep can gain access via a gate.
Any advice appreciated.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Free Pasture
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 04:53:57 pm »
are they breeding ewes or stores or pets?
our place was very overgrown when we moved here and we used sheep to graze it right down. it did work but we also found the old long grass was poor quality so only supported natives breeds.
topping would be a better option if it is easy for you to do, but not essential.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 05:15:07 pm »
I'd be inclined to tackle the weeds over the Winter.  The bottom of the tussocky grass will probably rot away if the ground's wet and you could put the BF's on when the ground's dried out a bit and grass growth takes off and gets to about 10cm in the Spring.  If they're anything like mine they'll go straight over and start eating the hedge anyway.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 05:22:20 pm »
I'd put the sheep in now and see how they get on (i.e. make them do the work for you ;)).  Then take them out before the spring and tackle anything that they have left, making it clear for the new spring growth.  It's not going to grow much over winter anyway, and the cold weather should firm up the ground.  Supplement with hay if you need to.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 05:24:36 pm »
Just a couple of thoughts...

If it's well-fenced and you know someone with some young(ish) cattle, they'd do a grand job of chomping it down so it's usable by sheep.

If your fleeces are destined for handspinning, you may want to wait for burrs and so on to dry/drop off before letting the sheep in amongst tall weeds ;)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

cooksey

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 03:59:34 pm »
chuck them in on it they will chew it down well

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 05:33:01 pm »
If it is very wet - make sure you treat your sheep regularly with a flukicide... and their feet may not thank you for wet pasture...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS