Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: primitive ram to commercial ewes  (Read 4937 times)

mcd

• Joined May 2014
primitive ram to commercial ewes
« on: November 27, 2014, 10:24:17 pm »
I have the chance of putting a Manx ram to some mixed commercial ewes this weekend. Would he be able to reach in order to do the job so to speak?

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
Re: primitive ram to commercial ewes
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 11:22:45 pm »
When the girls are ready he will be able !!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 11:31:49 pm »
Oh he'll manage  :o   and he won't even need a bucket to stand on  :roflanim:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 07:14:25 am »
Where there's a will(y) there's a way ;)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 07:25:39 am »
^ I think that's what you all said to me when I was similarly worried three weeks ago. Current indications are that you were absolutely right, too!  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

mcd

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 08:38:56 am »
Fantastic news. Can't wait to see how the lambs will compare to the pure breed.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 08:57:22 am »
Fantastic news. Can't wait to see how the lambs will compare to the pure breed.

They will be smaller and slower growing. When I used a white Shetland tup on texel type cross ewes, the offspring made good lightweight lambs for the Xmas market (30 to 35kgs, some where 3/4 Shetland too). Our local mart has special sales on in December, and they usually made good price (obviously not as much as a "proper" fat lamb). If you have the hay for overwinter, they do sell well as hoggets, but I would castrate all the males to allow running all lambs together through the winter.

Fleeces will be interesting if you keep until the summer after...

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 09:01:51 am »
Lambs will be a good six weeks "behind" your commercials, but should be robust and quick to suckle.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 10:01:24 am »
Oh, and lambing should be less trouble, as lambs will be smaller and more vigorous than your average suffolk or texel lamb.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 10:25:43 am »
I wanted to give Rosie Mule a soft year; she always has twins (always Texel x to date) and always puts everything into them, and she has a lovely temperament though not the softest of fleeces, so I decided to pop her with Chad, the Shetland tup lamb, and see if he could manage.

I made the mistake of introducing them in a large flat field, which afforded me much entertainment for twenty minutes  :roflanim:  but I wished I'd taken her to an uneven area, where it would have been easier for them to find a spot where Chad could stand on higher ground ;)

I don't yet know whether he accomplished his mission - he was certainly finding the target, but you could tell from his behaviour that he just needed a little bit more reach for the grand finale.   :innocent:

However, he has stamina, determination and no little intelligence, so I was sure he'd work something out.  My favourite attempt while I was watching was where he gave a little tum-forward jump at the crucial moment - just like those fellas who bump tums in greating or celebration.    :roflanim: 

I don't think it quite worked, and he didn't try that move again, but the ground they are on has that flat field then a slope down to a rougher field, and that leads to the riverbank with lots of variations on height.  So :fc: he achieved his goal at some point that day.

If she's a-tupping again on 9th Dec, I'll chase 'em to the riverbank myself!   :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 10:48:37 am »
We put our Hebridean tup across our two texel x mule pet lambs as ewe lambs last year.
Dolly we think aborted  :( but Molly had a fantastic pair of ewe lambs, born in April, they were about 35 kg by August in time for Turriff show, where they won 4th prize in the pen of ewe and twin lambs.
Lovely easy lambing, but they've grown just fine, and they would have gone away fat quite easily, but we've kept them for breeding.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 11:33:37 am »
A neighbour brings her 2 Texel ewes to us for tupping.  Rambo (sorry :-[ ) our Shetland has no trouble covering them :innocent: .  The twin lambs were sold in mid-Dec. last year to a local butcher who pronounced them excellent - lean and a reasonable size.  She has already sold the twins from this year.  All raised on grass and hay.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 02:38:17 pm »
I wanted to give Rosie Mule a soft year; she always has twins (always Texel x to date) and always puts everything into them, and she has a lovely temperament though not the softest of fleeces, so I decided to pop her with Chad, the Shetland tup lamb, and see if he could manage.

I made the mistake of introducing them in a large flat field, which afforded me much entertainment for twenty minutes  :roflanim:  but I wished I'd taken her to an uneven area, where it would have been easier for them to find a spot where Chad could stand on higher ground ;)

I don't yet know whether he accomplished his mission - he was certainly finding the target, but you could tell from his behaviour that he just needed a little bit more reach for the grand finale.   :innocent:

However, he has stamina, determination and no little intelligence, so I was sure he'd work something out.  My favourite attempt while I was watching was where he gave a little tum-forward jump at the crucial moment - just like those fellas who bump tums in greating or celebration.    :roflanim: 

I don't think it quite worked, and he didn't try that move again, but the ground they are on has that flat field then a slope down to a rougher field, and that leads to the riverbank with lots of variations on height.  So :fc: he achieved his goal at some point that day.

If she's a-tupping again on 9th Dec, I'll chase 'em to the riverbank myself!   :D

You should have just told her to take her high heels off....  ;D

My Shetland always managed the "big" girls fine.

mcd

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 02:42:25 pm »
Easy lambing is exactly what I need being in work full time. But can still market the lambs as rare breed too!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 05:50:17 pm »

Sally, I think you need another hobby - all that time on your own is getting to you  :hugsheep:   :roflanim:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS