Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: farm security  (Read 9035 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: farm security
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 09:48:40 am »
Our neighbour has installed a CCTV on the farm drive which she plays back through the farm computer.  It cost a couple of hundred pounds but works really well.  They can also see what time the fox patrols the poultry pens and take the appropriate action.

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 06:48:15 pm »
Following on...police at my neighbour's this morning.  Their barn was done again last night and the diesel stolen :rant: :rant: :rant: .  5th time in 2 years, they can't get insurance anymore.  We all know who it is.. it's just catching the bar stewards.  Personally I'd line 'em up and shoot them.

"Personally I'd line 'em up and shoot them"   I’m surprised they haven’t been.

Appalling, but if I was being robbed every 5 months I think I would be doing something err, spiteful to stop it. 

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 11:40:42 am »
Got up at 3.30 this morning as the dog wanted out to see the farm about a mile from us in flames! It seems that they were broken into last night and after taking what they could get there hands on they then set fire to the place. It seems that as they couldn't get past some of the padlocks etc they got a bit pi**ed off. Fortunately horses weren't in last night and farmer managed to get the dogs out. So it seems that even if you have lots of security in place they will just destroy what they can't take? :rant: Really upsetting they are a lovely hard working family.
Anne

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 12:51:06 pm »
Gosh, this stuff is very depressing to read - horrible sense of hopelessness and powerlessness. Not sure where my perspective would go if I lost livestock, was hit on 5 times, or saw my home go up in smoke.....
Have been hugely heartened, however, by people's loveliness and support....

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 01:39:45 pm »
The police must surely know who's behind this.  We had one family in this area who were behind pretty well every incidence of this type of crime and, as I understand it, the police hauled them all in for interview every time a crime was committed.  Sometimes it worked and the offender was locked away for a good long time, sometimes not, but eventually the rest of the family relocated - not a nice, clean ending to the story but a huge relief locally.  The family was a tight-knit bunch and the children were brought up ignorant of any alternative way of life.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 01:46:52 pm »
Following on...police at my neighbour's this morning.  Their barn was done again last night and the diesel stolen :rant: :rant: :rant: .  5th time in 2 years, they can't get insurance anymore.  We all know who it is.. it's just catching the bar stewards.  Personally I'd line 'em up and shoot them.

"Personally I'd line 'em up and shoot them"   I’m surprised they haven’t been.

Is your real name Tony EP90?

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 02:37:01 pm »
Our neighbours at our old house had around £5000 worth of things stolen in one night. I had my car window smashed which actually woke me up so I decided to go out and feed the lambs. Mid feed a pick up backed down our lane which itself is very unusual as the house was down a private lane with 4 houses and started loading stuff up from behind the garage. I knew the pickup as it was battered with bits tied up with bailing twine and belonged to a neighbouring farmer. I asked him what he was doing and he said rabbiting. So I asked where his dogs were and he said I cant carry them with my stuff. So he thought I would accept that he had brought his pickup here, unloaded his things behind a garage then gone back for his dogs. Called the police straight away, told him who it was but they just missed him while he was here. The officer that came was changing shifts so by the time they got to his place 3 hours later surprisingly his pickup was empty. Even though we saw him loading up and he had left his crowbars with finger prints on the police couldn't charge him as there was no DNA. Its only after he had gone away we discovered my car window and how much other stuff had gone. If I had known that at the time there would have been plenty of DNA around. Full credit to him, he had put the locks back together so you couldn't tell they were broken. I know the police wanted to try and charge him with something else but don't know whether they ever did. If anyone knows of Garry Dwyer and the scruffy cruel farmer that is John Allison (Mr Dwyer resides in a caravan in his field, used his pickup and believe dumped the stuff at Mr Allisons girlfriends house) in Colne stay away from the thieving bastards. The only reassuring thing is that one day if they are that blatant about it someone around that area will dispose of them.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2014, 02:54:32 pm »
You can buy and legally use  a device that is a trip wire activated trigger that sets off a blank shotgun cartridge.
 They are handy for setting up each night or across little used accesses or across your own access on the inside of your property and also for making building cordons 
 Last time I look several years ago they were sell for about a tenner each .
 The effect of the blank going off at a few feet away does tend to  unsettle even the most determined of thieves , especially if there is a secondary one or two more a few meters  back in side your property lines.
 You do need to have then protected by something like deer fencing etc to stop animals setting them off . Having one set to trip to the barn doors opening etc  is also a good way to use them . 
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2014, 05:32:17 pm »

I don't think anyone would want to be called Tony EP90, unless its a relative of Joe 90.

Assuming it was a serious enquiry, then no I’m not a Tony.

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2014, 05:41:28 pm »
I was done over by thieving bar stewards a couple of months ago. They put a bolt cropper through the chain on the main gate. Then they put the bolt cropper through the very chunky hasps on the cattle byre and the small hay barn. Nothing taken from either. Then they jemmied the door to the tack room, popping the door stiles out and bending the five lever lock. They stole a chain saw (predictably) but more surprising a cast iron wood burning stove complete with the flue pipes.

I have upgraded the chain and lock on the main gate to a standard where I cannot think it can be cut with bolt croppers. The wooden gate posts have been replaced by ones of steel which have been concreted in.

A few yards inside the gate is an alarm mine with a trip line across the only access. Since installation the mine has been tripped once. As there was a used condom outside the gate I think this may have been a couple looking for a nice snug straw bed. I can only hope the explosion triggered some premature ejaculation, preferably of the brown sort.

Regards, David

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2014, 06:18:19 pm »
I'm intrigued by the alarm mine ??? , can you send me details please.  Ta.

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2014, 07:00:09 pm »
http://www.spyshop.co.uk/alarm-mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D_3nAfmcqY

Google, blank shotgun trip wire etc  for similar items.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2014, 09:21:41 pm »

I don't think anyone would want to be called Tony EP90, unless its a relative of Joe 90.

Assuming it was a serious enquiry, then no I’m not a Tony.

Martin. Thought maybe he was out!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2014, 10:06:06 pm »
We thought our heating oil was getting nicked and funny enough since installing cameras it now last all winter. Rotten people to steal your pork but the world is full of chancers.

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2014, 11:28:58 am »
£35 for the alarm mine and 5 cartridges from Spyshop seems excessive. Countrywide sell the mine for £15 (product code 15956) and cartridges at 80p each (product code 15957).

Regards, David

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS