Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pet Pig Anyone? Herefordshire  (Read 3180 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Pet Pig Anyone? Herefordshire
« on: November 27, 2014, 08:38:08 am »
A little (and I mean little) GOS gilt.  Born the same size as the rest of the litter but her brothers and sisters have grown away well and she hasn't.  12 weeks old but looks like a three week old piglet and is now 20% the size of the rest of the litter.  Got a really friendly temperament.  Wouldn't dream of breeding from her, of course, and she presently appears very unlikley to get to a size worth slaughtering.  Wondered if anyone wanted a pet?  Sometimes tiny ones suddenly keel over at a few weeks old because there's something fundamentally wrong with them but this one has thrived so far, just stayed tiny.   There'll be no charge. 

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Pet Pig Anyone? Herefordshire
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 09:12:30 am »
You could sell her as a 'micro pig' and get loads of money. Only joking of course.
I can't take her but am sure someone will give her a good home.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 01:15:06 pm »
When I got my second pair of Kune Kune piglets from Little Blue, they had been successfully bottled reared by her.  One, she called Lucky was so tiny .....I kept them in a large dog kennel for weeks, and each morning would dread looking in as I really feared the little one would have been sat on by the other larger one, but no, she survived.  She was very small and just never seemed to grow, and it was ages before I moved them to the pig ark as I thought the larger sows would definitely squash her!!

Lucky did grow eventually, but never  to be as big as the others, and not something I would have bred from.  Do hope you find someone to take your little pig!!

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 08:58:02 pm »
Hi,

Do you have any pictures? How big actually is she?

Regards

Emily

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 08:08:08 am »
WIll try and take a photo today.  She's about 18"/45cm long.  She now fits under the bellies of her brothers and sisters so never goes short of grub!

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 08:40:50 am »
Sounds lovely - could we have her without having other pigs? We have pet pygmy goats and pet Ouessant sheep. If she'd go in happily with any of them I'd be keen!
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 10:55:03 am »
I wouldn't recommend keeping a pig on its own, alas.  They're herd animals and all of ours, even if on their own because they're due to farrow or the boar when he's hanging around waiting for the next brimming sow to come a-visiting, can hear and smell the pigs in the next pen.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 06:20:47 pm »
That's disappointing,  I was really excited at the prospect of a pet pig! I read about someone recently who has a little pig living with their pygmy goats which is why i thought it might work but i don't know anything about them and it may not be a good set-up. I hope someone gives her a lovely pet home.
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 08:41:55 am »
Tried and failed to add a photo - now with TAS Computer Whizz to see if it can be done.  Anyone wanting to take a look at her with no obligation whatsoever will be very welcome - please PM.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 05:13:14 pm »
Now sorted.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS