Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Finally learning to spin properly  (Read 12569 times)

Whittsend

• Joined May 2013
Finally learning to spin properly
« on: November 26, 2014, 06:07:04 pm »
I had a great day yesterday at Blaze Farm in Cheshire. Quite a  way to go from my corner of North Wales but well worth the effort.  Diane Fisher  runs spinning courses there every few months. Her brother  Philip,  otherwise known as  "The Singing Shearer"  also spins and was there to help out.
 I bought a second hand Ashford wheel about four years ago and bought three coloured ryeland ewe lambs three years ago.  I now have two year's fleeces waiting to be spun. I had made half-hearted attempts to teach myself to spin but was just getting disheartened by my laughable results.  What a difference a day makes ! I wouldn't say I am now great at it but my confidence levels have soared.  By the end of the day we had all spun two bobbins of wool( I took a pile of my own rolags with me) and pl1ed them into a skein.  Today I knitted that small skein into a neck warmer to wear when I am out and about  with my  sheep and my ponies - my scarf is always dangling into the hay/ mud/ water troughs!
It feels really good to have turned some of Megans fleece into a useful item.  Now only five and four fifths fleeces left to use before the next shearing.  :knit:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 02:56:56 pm by Whittsend »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Finally learning to spin properly
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 06:17:09 pm »
Well done Whittsend.  :spin:
I have 3 coloured ryelands and 3 white. It feels a real sense of achievement when you have spun your own fleece and can then make something from it. 
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 08:39:16 pm »
Whittsend - that's excellent  :thumbsup: :spin:

Spinning seems such a huge hurdle and so difficult before you start, then once you know how, it's so easy and you don't know why you didn't start sooner  ::)

I hope you keep going and with the  :knit:  We're all here to keep you at it  :sunshine:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

MurmuringWheel

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 08:48:35 pm »
Thankyou Whittsend!

I haven't logged in here for a very long time but just wanted to say thanks for the mentions on here and craftcourses.
It was lovely to meet you yesterday. You are a natural spinner! Keep up the good work and let me know how you get on  :)
www.murmuringwheel.co.uk Handspinning, knitting, crocheting services, spinning tuition and demonstrations at events nationwide.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 09:52:46 pm »
Very encouraging, thanks WE for sharing your experience!
I haven't even started yet (a huge hurdle, as FW says) but I might just take the plunge and go for a course - Cheshire is not that far away.
 :knit:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 12:50:58 am »
Excellent news, Whittsend  :thumbsup:

It's brilliant to be wearing something you made from your own handspun, isn't it?!   :spin: :knit: :excited: And even better when it's from the fleece of your own sheep.  :sheep: :sheep:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 01:06:20 am »
Well done, WE. There'll be no stopping you now. Where's the photo?

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 07:43:48 am »
Thankyou Whittsend!

I haven't logged in here for a very long time but just wanted to say thanks for the mentions on here and craftcourses.
It was lovely to meet you yesterday. You are a natural spinner! Keep up the good work and let me know how you get on  :)
Diane, would you consider coming even closer?there seem to be a few of us interested in north wales.... I have a big warm space in Bala, would put you up etc.... It sounds just the job for me - I am randomly spinning and enjoying it.... Would love to have more control...  How many do you need for a course?   Fingers crossed

MurmuringWheel

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 10:00:26 am »
I'd love to!

Depends on when you are thinking as I demonstrate at a lot of shows, especially through the summer, so would have to be a date that didn't clash but I'm sure we can come up with something.

I normally say a minimum of 4 people. Can go up to 8-9 if I bring somebody to help. Any more than that and I feel like people don't get enough individual attention. I bring my own wheels but if anyone has their own, like Whittsend did, it's better if they bring it along as it makes sense to learn with the equipment you have access to ( plus, if the wheel isn't working properly, we can usually fix it there and then).
Can bring fleece/fibre too or work with what is available locally.

If you want to drop me an email ( my website is below) we can discuss further?
www.murmuringwheel.co.uk Handspinning, knitting, crocheting services, spinning tuition and demonstrations at events nationwide.

Whittsend

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 03:06:13 pm »
Thanks to everyone  for all the lovely replies to my post.  :sunshine:  It's great for me to be able to chat about something positive, rather than asking for help/ advice about a problem.

Diane, it was easy to say good things about your course. I had a great day.

FiB I think that having a spinning session with Diane, at your place, would be fantastic. I am only a short drive away from Bala and would certainly want to come along if you do arrange it. I have a  neighbour who would probably want to come as well. Please let me know if anything comes from your discussion with Diane.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 04:08:28 pm »
well done! I am thinking of making stuff with bits of fleece too, except it doesn't need spinning, or knitting. Hopefully if I can get the materials I'll make it! :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 07:38:21 pm »
FiB - what a great idea to invite Diane a bit closer, I'd really be up for it - Bala is not too far from Llanrwst!
 :excited:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 09:12:25 pm »
Brill ! It WILL happen :-) I was definately thinking over the winter... Perhaps something to look forward to in Jan .... Whit send, lady k got any no-no dates? Weekend day or weekday?

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 10:21:49 pm »
FiB - I work from home a lot so I can be quite flexible - my no-no days (working in London) are quite erratic, so better if you can make some date suggestions?
I think should clarify I am an absolute beginner, never touched a spinning wheel, only watched a couple of demos locally and I think you all have some experience already - do that would be a question for Diane: would a total beginner be a problem and mess up the group experience for everyone else? Wouldn't like to be the one holding everyone else back... I'm keen to learn though and not easily intimidated  :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 01:24:02 am »
I'd be interested as well so long as the start wasn't too early for me to travel down.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS